Question BIOS doesn't show on my DVI-connected monitor ?

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Hi,
I recently encountered this weird thing where my BIOS doesn't show on the monitor which is connected through a DVI port. Meaning the bios loading screen during start up or mobo's bios screen won't show up on my monitor. When I plug in my TV through HDMI, bios shows on it. This became an issue only recently, after I put in a new SSD in the M2 gen 4 port(not sure if they are related). Also when I look at nvidia control panel when both my monitor and tv are plugged in, Samsung TV is shown as a primary monitor and my Asus monitor is shown as secondary.
V4hRBQ4.png

Doesn't matter which HDMI port I plug the TV into, the DVI port is always shown secondary. I'm guessing this may have something to do with it as well.

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Have you tried manually setting the DVI panel to be your primary and then your secondary? Also, when you migrated to a new SSD, did you clone the OS or did you reinstall the OS?

I don't know how I can manually set DVI panel as the primary. I formatted all the drivers and did a clean windows 10 pro install.

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
I formatted all the drivers and did a clean windows 10 pro install.
Where did you source the installer for your OS? As for the drivers, did you manually install them while the system was disconnected from the www, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

I don't know how I can manually set DVI panel as the primary.
View: https://youtu.be/f7FcIjnjUks

I used a usb flash drive to install windows. I only manually installed graphics drivers afterwards(used ddu to remove driver).
As for the video, I was talking about the DVI port being seen as number "1", otherwise I know how to select monitor and click on "make my main display."
My issue is that despite doing that, when windows puts number on displays it shows the "main display" as number 2. And bios doesn't recognize it. And I doubt this has anything to do with drivers because this issue started happening before I formatted the ssds and reinstalled windows.

A graphics card will have a default order as to which device should get the bios screen. That can not be changed.
Perhaps, you can swap cables.
This drove me crazy for a while since the single cable that directed the bios was to a rotated 90 degree monitor.

In windows display settings you can arrange windows and indicate which is the primary monitor.

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
A graphics card will have a default order as to which device should get the bios screen. That can not be changed.
Perhaps, you can swap cables.
This drove me crazy for a while since the single cable that directed the bios was to a rotated 90 degree monitor.

In windows display settings you can arrange windows and indicate which is the primary monitor.

Well, that sucks. I don't think I'll mess with the cables.
But what bothers me the most is, this was never a problem. My DVI port being the secondary I mean. Bios always recognized it when the other monitor wasn't plugged in. Now the bios won't see it when it is the only monitor that is plugged in.

TRENDING THREADS