Question BIOS downgrade blocked

Aug 25, 2020
The bios has been updated recently and ever since undervolting is locked so I’m getting a rather bad FPS drops during gaming however I tried to downgrade but it seems impossible, it kept saying “bios update blocked due to unsupported downgrade” even though downgrade setting is enabled in bios and I even tried the dos method. Any help please ?

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
I DID THIS KNOWING THAT IT CAN FOR SURE AND PROBABLY WILL BRICK THE BIOS/MOBO AND RENDER MY PC DEAD.

That's the case with some motherboard and manufacturer. My old gaming laptop from high school had a bad BIOS update so I contacted and got someone from Overclockers a coffee for the older BIOS that the system would allow to flash. ASUS G752VT i7-6700HQ 970m. And its running fine right now and my little brother inherited it.

Contact manufacturer for help or look for other people who's experiencing the same thing.

I DID THIS KNOWING THAT IT CAN FOR SURE AND PROBABLY WILL BRICK THE BIOS/MOBO AND RENDER MY PC DEAD.

Aug 25, 2020
Well sadly I live in a country that has a very bad dell support, I have dell Inspiron 7577 i7-7700HQ GTX 1060 MAX-Q and it used to work very well until this horrible update. I’ve read it’s intel responsibility since they no longer want to support undervolted CPUs.

Reactions: EridanusSV

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Well sadly I live in a country that has a very bad dell support, I have dell Inspiron 7577 i7-7700HQ GTX 1060 MAX-Q and it used to work very well until this horrible update. I’ve read it’s intel responsibility since they no longer want to support undervolted CPUs.
RIP man. Hardware I have little knowledge. Software and BIOS... count me out.

Good luck with your PC though. Hopefully you find a fix soon.

Aug 25, 2020
Did you go to the prior BIOS version or did you try to jump back several versions in one go?
Yes I tried to go back to the prior BIOS version which is the 1.10.0 (the one installed is 1.11.0) but it never let me to downgrade. Tried from windows, tried with the usb (using Rufus) tried the dos, nothing. The same error. As I said somehow they blocked downgrading for security reason even if you set downgrading setting enabled.

Yes I tried to go back to the prior BIOS version which is the 1.10.0 (the one installed is 1.11.0) but it never let me to downgrade. Tried from windows, tried with the usb (using Rufus) tried the dos, nothing. The same error. As I said somehow they blocked downgrading for security reason even if you set downgrading setting enabled.
I don’t know. Have you tried contacting Dell support?

Aug 25, 2020
I don’t know. Have you tried contacting Dell support?
Well to be honest no because I know it’s gonna be a waste of time since as I read from the articles it was intel decision to stop supporting undervolted cpu and that’s why they Updated the bios with micro codes to restrict undervolting and downgrading. I really have no idea why since It doesn’t really make sense. But I’m gonna contact them tomorrow morning and we will see. I thought I someone has a tweak or a fix on how to unlock undervolting though.

Well to be honest no because I know it’s gonna be a waste of time since as I read from the articles it was intel decision to stop supporting undervolted cpu and that’s why they Updated the bios with micro codes to restrict undervolting and downgrading. I really have no idea why since It doesn’t really make sense. But I’m gonna contact them tomorrow morning and we will see. I thought I someone has a tweak or a fix on how to unlock undervolting though.
Dell won’t help you with undervolting but they hopefully can help you with installing a prior BIOS version.

Intel stopped allowing undervolting as part of a fix for security vulnerability. I’ve had to deal with this on my Dell G5 with 9750h.

Aug 25, 2020
Update I downgraded from bios 1.11.0 to 1.9.3 using the bios recovery method and then I did a bios reset to factory settings and I can happily undervol again. I gotta say that intel is too worried about security issues while neglecting performance.

Reactions: chinbuls
Aug 26, 2020
Update I downgraded from bios 1.11.0 to 1.9.3 using the bios recovery method and then I did a bios reset to factory settings and I can happily undervol again. I gotta say that intel is too worried about security issues while neglecting performance.
Hi Bro!
How can you downgraded bios 1.11.0 to 1.9.3? I tried recovery and reset to factory but can't downgrade bio.
I have laptop Dell 7577 i7 7700hq 1060 max-q

Sep 5, 2020

What recovery image did you use? Would you please share? When I go to the dell website only versions 1.10 and up have recovery images and those don't have undervolt enabled :((

Edit: OK, I was able to find a recovery image for bios version 1.8.0 but I am unable to flash it via the recovery method (CTRL+ESC). It never tries to connect to the usb drive. I do not have a USB flash drive I'm afraid :(

Last edited: