Question BIOS Errors and underclocking

fistoffaust

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Yet again it strikes again. My PC has been running fine for a hot minute now and you all helped get it all sorted out last time so I am hope all of you computer gods/goddesses will come in for the save again. Here is what is going on:

I have been running into some issues after the last fix of my computer going through the ritual of:
Push the power button, Turns on, Turns off, Turns on again and boots normal.

I got past that by unplugging and holding the power button and a CMOS reset. But here is what has been causing me more issues then that.

I can boot to my computer if I use the BIOS optimized defaults. Issue is if I use the defaults my computer freezes (due to the FX 9590 and its instability) If I change any of the BIOS settings to try to underclock/undervolt it becomes unbootable and asks to restore back to defaults. All of this happened because I started getting prompted with "System Restore" every time I restarted/booted my PC and blue screens after my splash screen. I am at a loss and am just getting more and more frustrated with all of it.

Specs:
Video card : XFX Radeon R9 390
CPU : AMD FX-9590
Heat Sink : Asetek 570LXL
Fans : 5 x Thermaltake Ring 120mm
Mobo : Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5
HDD : Western Digital 1Tb Blue
Optical drive : LG 14x BR Writable
Fan Control : Aerocool Touch 2000
Memory : 2x8Gb G-Skill Ripjaw x DDR3-2133
PSU: EVGA 1000w G2

any help is greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance.

fistoffaust

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
Previously the only way i could get it to be stable was to disable C1E, C6, putting the cpu around 4ghz (might have been to low) and setting the vcore to 1.4v (also might be a bit low)

DavidM012

Distinguished
It's an overclocked fx 8xxx hardwired into the cpu package & rushed to market as the first 5ghz cpu. You can't lower the power requirements . Because it's a 220w cpu it has the highest default power draw of almost any desktop cpu.

I'd ditch it and replace with an 8xxx. you could overclock an 8xxx easily and beat it's single thread performance & an 8350 is now about 50quid. Though you have a choice of the full range of fx series, maybe a 6300 or 8730e would be more to your liking. Not worth spending much on since it's now obsolete though.

My 4350 can beat the 9590 single thread if I overclock to 4.8ghz which is testing the limits of my system stability under prime 95 but I've run it for 3 years at 4.9ghz @ ddr3 2400 without too much hassle for ordinary usage.

Since you have a good cooler running an 8xxx shouldn't be any problem. You would have more control over the overclock if you wanted to do that.

1.4 vCore for an fx is about where it wants to be. 1.5v is the recommended limit but really I have never wanted to run mine at more than 1.476.

Your cooler is better than mine so you should have no problems overclocking an 8xxx in my estimation. You would certainly not have any problems overclocking a 4350. The 6300 also has a lower tdp at 95w which would make it even easier to overclock.

Trying to find stable bios settings for the 9590 sounds like it's giving you a nasty time so why not cheaply replace it and eliminate the hassle?

fistoffaust

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
It's an overclocked fx 8xxx hardwired into the cpu package & rushed to market as the first 5ghz cpu. You can't lower the power requirements . Because it's a 220w cpu it has the highest default power draw of almost any desktop cpu.

I'd ditch it and replace with an 8xxx. you could overclock an 8xxx easily and beat it's single thread performance & an 8350 is now about 50quid. Though you have a choice of the full range of fx series, maybe a 6300 or 8730e would be more to your liking. Not worth spending much on since it's now obsolete though.

My 4350 can beat the 9590 single thread if I overclock to 4.8ghz which is testing the limits of my system stability under prime 95 but I've run it for 3 years at 4.9ghz @ ddr3 2400 without too much hassle for ordinary usage.

Since you have a good cooler running an 8xxx shouldn't be any problem. You would have more control over the overclock if you wanted to do that.

1.4 vCore for an fx is about where it wants to be. 1.5v is the recommended limit but really I have never wanted to run mine at more than 1.476.

Your cooler is better than mine so you should have no problems overclocking an 8xxx in my estimation. You would certainly not have any problems overclocking a 4350. The 6300 also has a lower tdp at 95w which would make it even easier to overclock.

Trying to find stable bios settings for the 9590 sounds like it's giving you a nasty time so why not cheaply replace it and eliminate the hassle?
So what is my best option as a replacement is it the 8350?

DavidM012

Distinguished
It's hard to say as the 6300 is about the same price as the 8350. The 6300 would be the easier to overclock but runs at a lower clock on 6 cores where the 8350 has 8 cores and will have a slightly better multi core bench.

So it depends if you want 2 more cores for multithreading the 8350. I don't know what the overclocked benches are & it's hard to find them compared to cpu-z bench because it only shows the overclocked bench of the cpu being tested, in my case the 4350.

From my perspective the 8350 would be a bigger gain on multi threaded.

fistoffaust

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
It's hard to say as the 6300 is about the same price as the 8350. The 6300 would be the easier to overclock but runs at a lower clock on 6 cores where the 8350 has 8 cores and will have a slightly better multi core bench.

So it depends if you want 2 more cores for multithreading the 8350. I don't know what the overclocked benches are & it's hard to find them compared to cpu-z bench because it only shows the overclocked bench of the cpu being tested, in my case the 4350.

From my perspective the 8350 would be a bigger gain on multi threaded.
Okay so tomorrow I'm gonna grab one off Amazon and some compound and see how it goes. Edit: going to go with the 8350 and some arctic mx4.