BIOS Flash: Computer not booting

G

Recently my friend flashed his KT7A-RAID to the WZ BIOS. The flash was sucessfull.

After restarting he went into the BIOS changed a few options, saved and exited. After this the computer refuses to post.

Is there a way to fix a Flash gone wrong? Or does anyone have suggestions of what the problem may be?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
There are a few ways to fix a flash gone wrong. Basically you can:

1) Buy a new ROM preflashed from a few websites that sell them (usuall costs around $25.00 US or so)

2) Get hold of a PROM the same size/spec as the one you have (check the numbers e.g. 27040 is 2 Meg I think) and do one of two things:

A) If you have someone who's got a PROM burner they can burn it for you using the BIOS binary, or...

B) Do something called hotflash, where you get another MBthat takes the same size ROM, boot up to DOS with it's own ROM, then (being very careful) remove that one, insert your new PROM, and flash it. You've now got a programmed PROM that should be usable in your dead MB.

There are websites (do a search) that offer step-by-step instructions on how to hotflash.

Note: Be very careful when you insert the new PROM that you align the pins correctly. The notch in the PROM should align with the notch in the socket. I toasted a PROM by inserting it backwards (luckily not the MB)

How do I know so much about this? I was forced to learn it when I was bitten by the virus (I forget the name) that flashed my BIOS. Fun stuff.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
One other thing, if the PROM in your "bad flash" MB is still good, you may be able to just hotflash using that, instead of having to find another one.

Good luck.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Two things you can try.

1. Turn off the power at the back of the power supply or pull the plug. Wait 10 seconds. Turn on the power while holding down the <b>insert key</b> at the same time. This will temporarily bring up the system using default settings. Run the BIOS setup program again and undo the changes you maded or load the BIOS defaults.

2. Reset the CMOS. To do this, again, turn off the power or pull the plug. This is important because ATX PSU's have have Standby power even when the system is shutdown. Ground yourself (by touching the computer chasis). Move the CCMOS1 jumper to pins 2-3. Wait a few seconds and return the jumper block to pins 1-2. You will now have the BIOS default settings

G

i had this problem 2 days ago, all I needed to do was to disable boot virus checker(or something like that) in bios and it worked again, hurrah!!

G

My brain dead AZ11E motherboard has recovered thanks to the clues in your post. I bought a "PLCC extraction tool" from Radio Shack, booted up my son's PC, pulled the bios chip from his PA-2013 MB, inserted the erased chip from the AZ11E and flashed. There were compatibility warning messages but after several tries, I am in business. I almost drove 110 miles to Cleveland for a warranty replacement board and possible hard time on a "non warranty" problem. I am still waiting for FIC's official recomendation now that the problem is resolved.