[SOLVED] Bios flash crash Toshiba Satellite L450

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
It seems like I have "bricked" my laptop during a bios utdate gone bad...black screen, as suspected :eek:/

The laptop is a Toshiba satellite L450 (PSLY0E)
The new bios image is named "bwaa150a.rom"

Anyone knows if it is possible to recover the bios from flashdrive or floppy, using some sort of recovery tool from inside the bios chip? ...or something?

Anyone knows who is the manifacturer of this bios?

Solution

Well, I've just brought my bios back to life... :)

I used the "wincrisis" available from here

• Basically I followed the instructions in the download above to create a recovery usb-flash.
    Then downloaded the correct bios, renamed the "rom-file" to "BIOS.WPH", and copied it to the usb-flash.
    Then I disconnected both the battery and the power connection cable on the bricked laptop.
    While pushing down the "F-key" on the keyboard, I reconnected the power cable and powered on with the power button, holding down the "F-key" *all the way till the laptop powered down by itself* after 2-3 minuets.
Then, powered up the laptop normally...voilà, running normally, with the newest...

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014

Yes, I could, but I'm not very keen on doing physical replacements og solding work on a shabby "stone age" laptop...

then let a laptop tech replace it for you.

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014

Well, I've just brought my bios back to life... :)

I used the "wincrisis" available from here

• Basically I followed the instructions in the download above to create a recovery usb-flash.
    Then downloaded the correct bios, renamed the "rom-file" to "BIOS.WPH", and copied it to the usb-flash.
    Then I disconnected both the battery and the power connection cable on the bricked laptop.
    While pushing down the "F-key" on the keyboard, I reconnected the power cable and powered on with the power button, holding down the "F-key" *all the way till the laptop powered down by itself* after 2-3 minuets.
Then, powered up the laptop normally...voilà, running normally, with the newest bios... :)

Solution

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
For the record:

This was a Phoenix bios for Intel, but I think there is similar procedures for other bios recoveries. The frustrating thing is the small differences between models and brands....but google is the way of finding the way, with a little trying and failing....

hhmmm i got tons of laptops here with crashed BIOS, if this program can really fix it then it's worth looking at..

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
[/quotemsg]

hhmmm i got tons of laptops here with crashed BIOS, if this program can really fix it then it's worth looking at.. [/quotemsg]

I believe there is similar recovery procedure for most newer bios-software, but it seems not to be a lot of precise how-to-lists for different brands and models. The procedure do seems to be a little bit different from one bios/model to the other.

The computer producers have a job to do (!) When it takes a basically medium skilled guy five minuets to recover a bios, when he knows how to do it, it should not be necessary to make it a service job, replacing chips or boards...

Shame on you, producers..!