BIOS Flash Nightmare

JesseMcPherson

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
I have a Chaintech 9CJS Zenith Motherboard and the other day I decided to update my BIOS so I could install XP SP2. I had no floppys handy so I made a bootable CD, started up the flash utility and started the process. Then something horrible happened, it froze. I left the PC as it was for a day and nothing happened and finally I turned it off. Now I'm left with a corrupted BIOS and am not quite sure what my opions are as far as fixing it. When starting up I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. I also tried creating a floppy to see if I could do a BIOS recovery and it seems like the system is trying to read the floppy, but then gives 4 long beeps. Any ideas anyone?

Here is a list of error <A HREF="http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14/1" target="_new">Beep Codes</A>.

G

The other option is more extreme and involves getting two mothervoard using the same BIOS chip, swapping the BIOS chip while the computer is running and flash the corrupted one
Damn, that sounds kinda risky. Have you ever tried this before?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

endyen

Splendid
It was easy with the old big chips, much harder now. It's generally easier just to get a new bios from the mobo maker. A lot of small shops wont even do the hot swap any more.

JesseMcPherson

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Actually the BIOS on my board just pops out of a socket, really simple to get in and out. Well I talked to the manufacturer and they are sending me a new BIOS chip, and it is free.

pat

Expert
"Good thing when frienda know you know everything about computer parts and follows you."

Oh noooooo.. That is scary when somebody tell me he knows everything...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A MSI BOARD !!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure it contains the latest revision. It's hard as hell to get anything from Chaintech for free so make the most of it!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

TRENDING THREADS