Question BIOS freezing with new SSD?

Mar 9, 2019
Hi guys, so i bought an SSD (PNY 120GB) a couple of days ago, burned an image of Windows 10 1809 into a USB stick and tried to install Windows on it, the installation went fine, then when i restarted the machine, it would get to the windows 10 loading logo and the PC would restart, so i got an older version (1503) and installed, updated on Windows and it's all good now, except the fact that sometimes the computer will just freeze, sometimes after a few seconds after getting into the desktop, then after a while the blue screen of death happens and the PC reboots, after that, sometimes my BIOS wont properly post, it freezes before listing the available harddrivers, i'm using one PNY CS900 120GB SSD and a Toshiba harddrive, could there be any conflict between the two? the boot order in this BIOS shows two different Windows Boot Managers, one listed as "Windows Boot Manager 1" and the other as Windows Boot manager 2, whats happening here?

Last edited:
The best way to install windows, short of a clone, which you do not mention, is to start with the steps set out here, creating a media installation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

These files create the latest version, 1809.

The following steps will install windows, just remember to remove any other drive in the computer .

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Mar 9, 2019
The best way to install windows, short of a clone, which you do not mention, is to start with the steps set out here, creating a media installation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

These files create the latest version, 1809.

The following steps will install windows, just remember to remove any other drive in the computer .

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost
I did this already, formatted the drive innumerous times, here's whats happenning now:
The SSD contains Windows and programs, the 500GB Harddrive is used for game storage only
I was watching a video a couple of minutes ago while downloading a game on Steam
i get a BSOD, PC restarts and in the post screen only the harddrive is listed, i check the boot order
SSD is nowhere to be found, if i hard reset the PC, it still wont boot, i need to turn it off and turn it back on again
sometimes a hard reset will work, but after the windows 10 spinning dots i get a black screen, something
is clearly wrong here

Can you post a screen of the boot menu showing WBM drives and disk management showing the two drives, including the partition graphs ?
Does the problem continue when the storage drive is removed/disengaged ?Are there two WBMs then ?
Is the PNY still under warranty ?

Mar 9, 2019
Hail Marys

Remove the cmos battery for a few minutes
return bios to default values/flash new one
return the PNY
Already returned to the default values, bios is up to date, havent tried to remove the CMOS battery
wouldn't that do the same thing as resetting the bios?
PC's been up for 42 minutes and no crashes so far, maybe it's a random thing
windows event viewer doesn't tell me anything, the only warning i get
when i get the BSOD is "Critical_Process_Died"

EDIT : After about an hour or so, i turned off the computer and switched it back on to see what would happen
bios posted, brief windows logo, black screen, hard reset, pc restarts and nothing happens , turned it off
and back on again, working, this is really getting weird, how can i update my Sata controllers?
i can't update the SSD firmware, it's the latest version already.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019
Hail Marys

Remove the cmos battery for a few minutes
return bios to default values/flash new one
return the PNY
Just something to add, after i get the BSOD, the computer will restart and the SSD isn't detected by the BIOS
unless i turn off the computer, if i just reset it, the SSD still isn't recognized
and sometimes after a normal reboot/shutdown either the SSD isn't recognized
or i get a long black screen after the windows logo

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Have you tried connecting the SSD with different SATA power and SATA data cables? The random nature of the situation might suggest an iffy connection/contact.

The SATA controller driver is supplied by the motherboard manufacturer so you can find it on the MFG's website.

Also set Windows to drop a dump after the BSOD so we can have a look at that. There might be clues in it as what is causing this.

Mar 9, 2019
Have you tried connecting the SSD with different SATA power and SATA data cables? The random nature of the situation might suggest an iffy connection/contact.

The SATA controller driver is supplied by the motherboard manufacturer so you can find it on the MFG's website.

Also set Windows to drop a dump after the BSOD so we can have a look at that. There might be clues in it as what is causing this.
Well now Windows is unstable as hell, won't even boot and when it boots the computer will instantly freeze after 10-30 seconds of use, rn I'm installing Windows on my standard HDD and see if there's any problems, btw, I did restarted my computer several times for the last 2 days, could that give me any problems? Hard reset btw

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Well now Windows is unstable as hell, won't even boot and when it boots the computer will instantly freeze after 10-30 seconds of use, rn I'm installing Windows on my standard HDD and see if there's any problems, btw, I did restarted my computer several times for the last 2 days, could that give me any problems? Hard reset btw

Did you try yo reseat the SATA cables, power and data?

This haphazardness of the drive working might mean a loose connection. Or some hardware issue with the drive or the SATA controller. If HDD worked and works fine and connected to same SATA controller it might mean the SSD is the culprit.

I think you said SSD has latest firmware installed. Check it with other SATA power/sata cables and on a different SATA port and if possible on another computer.

Resetting the system a few times won't do any harm.