[SOLVED] bios (gigabyte b450m gaming) doesnt recognize NVMe M2 ssd (samsung evo 970)

Jan 29, 2019
Hello

Im building a PC and i bought a new samsung evo 970 NVMe M2 ssd drive and plugged it into new gigabyte b450m gaming motherboard.

When everything was assembled, i plugged in windows 10 installation usb, windows installation showed SSD drive, created UEFI partitions and installed regularly. However, once it restarted during installation (regular procedure), pc just booted the usb drive again, without an option to show SSD, and if i removed usb drive with windows installation, it boots straight into BIOS and shows no bootable devices.

I tried tinkering around with it, tried options in BIOS, but without any good result - BIOS would show no bootable devices. In the end i figured that if i power off whole pc (via PSU power button), turn it on and spam F12 to get into boot menu, SSD showed up and i could boot into windows and everything was working fine.

However, on every next restart via Windows, it would boot straight into BIOS and show no bootable devices, unless i power off pc via PSU button, turn it back on, power up PC and spam F12 - then i can select SSD to boot into OS.

Obviously starting up brand new PC like that every time doesnt sound too good, so my question is how do i fix the whole thing so it works like it should. So far i updated BIOS to latest version, reinstalled windows few times, tried some BIOS options (csm support disabled, uefi only etc), tried installing samsung evo 970 driver, tried updating drivers all around, removed and plugged in SSD again, and tried connecting HDD as well - same result - BIOS shows no bootable devices unless i power it all off and spam F12 to boot (spaming F12 on regular restart or shut down doesnt work).

friend tried helping so i took some pictured of BIOS options, in case this can help: https://imgur.com/a/Wa4YyFF

Edit: to make it more clear:
mbo: gigabyte b450m gaming
cpu: ryzen 5 2600
ssd: samsung evo 970 NVMe M2
problem: BIOS doesnt recognize SSD as bootable device but windows installation does. Can get SSD to show as bootable only by applying gimmick i found by accident, windows works fine then.

Solution
they fixed it by adding the distancer, at least they said so. i picked the pc, brought it home and the issue was still there, just the same. i went back to the shop, showed them the problem myself and they tried testing with brand new SSD, same model. The issue was still there so they diagnosed that m2 port on motherboard is not functioning properly - they will be giving me the new motherboard. thank you for your replies, the issue is solved - motherboard was not fully functional.
Try this, thanks to Calvin7, source: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3827905/gigabyte-b450-pcie-ssd-freezing-crashing.html

Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, not windows UEFI.

Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.

Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

Jan 29, 2019
i just tried that with no success. cms disabled, secure boot removed (there is no option to set to other OS or UEFI), keys deleted. installed windows per instructions, restored keys (still couldnt put secure boot to UEFI or anything similar), BIOS doesnt see SSD. Shut down via PSU button and turn it back on, it shows SSD, but on next normal restart its gone again.

https://imgur.com/a/LBnK084

if i turn off power completely and power it back on and go to BIOS it shows like in first picture and i can enter Windows. Secure boot options are in second picture. once i entered Windows are restarted pc regulary, BIOS stopped showing SSD again.

should i go ask for different SSD in the store where i bought it? or is it maybe MBO? i got no way of testing it myself

Jan 29, 2019
I brought the PC to the store where i bought the components and they called me back today that they fixed it. I was told the issue was that i didnt put in the distancer onto the motherboard where i screwed in the SSD to fixate it. I will report in here when i pick it up later today and get a chance to test if everything is as it is supposed to be.

Jan 29, 2019
they fixed it by adding the distancer, at least they said so. i picked the pc, brought it home and the issue was still there, just the same. i went back to the shop, showed them the problem myself and they tried testing with brand new SSD, same model. The issue was still there so they diagnosed that m2 port on motherboard is not functioning properly - they will be giving me the new motherboard. thank you for your replies, the issue is solved - motherboard was not fully functional.

Solution