kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Hey,

I'm curious about teh topic in general, but I do have a specific question. I've got an HP Pavilion, and by checking the specs, found out it had an ASUS P2B-VE motherboard. That type isn't listed on its site - I suppose they make it exclusivly for HP. Anyway, I was wondering if you could load the BIOS from one of the other Mobo models onto the HP Mobo. HP has its own annoying BIOS that doesn't let you change very much. Given that the mobo is by ASUS, I'm thinking that maybe there are just some features that HP locked in the BIOS - is there some way to get at them, if they are available?

-Kallenin

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/16/16363.htm" target="_new">http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/16/16363.htm</A>

good luck

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think there may be some parts that were changed or deleted from the HP board. If you like, you can download the images for various P2B boards from Asus, and if you find one with identicle components, try an Asus BIOS. You'll need a "universal" BIOS programer such as Uniflash to do it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

I'm assuming that you have an HP recovery disk. With that said, after you change the BIOS, that disk might not work anymore, because IIRC, it detemines that you have an HP computer by reading the BIOS. I might be wrong here, (if I am, slap me). :wink:

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Oh the HP recovery disk wasn't my concern at all. I was worried about not even being able to start up the computer to reflash the BIOS! If I have a bad BIOS (say, in the worst case, that it isn't even meant for the motherboard), can I still boot up to flash my BIOS, or do I need to like get a new chip or something...

-Kallenin

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your BIOS chip is the old type that looks kind of like a centipede, I have a brand new RD1 BIOS Savior BIOS backup device that lets you switch back and forth between BIOS chips, I'll sell it to you for $10 and you can try as many BIOS revisions on the spare chip as you like!

It's basically a BIOS chip on a small PCB with a handy switch that lets you select between the two chips. Remove your BIOS, put this thing in, put your BIOS chip back on. Then boot off your old BIOS, switch after the boot is done, flash the spare chip, and try to boot off it. If the spare is unbootable, repeat with a different BIOS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>