BIOS hangs at SATA detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreiiar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello community,

Computer hangs at bios SATA detection, after a cold boot. ( computer was shutdown for several hours )

The BIOS sequence stops at "auto-detecting SATA 1" even though the HDD is on another SATA port. After several ( 20 !? )restarts the computer will boot up normal. HDD scan show up couple bad sectors. Ran chkdsk utility, swaped sata ports. I was thinking of formating the system partition but will that change anything? Open to any ideeas. Formating will be last resort.

andreiiar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
STATUS UPDATE !!!!

I managed to saved my data on my laptop with a whooping 500 kBps speed. After this I formatted the drive with a low-level format tool, witch I read it stores the bad sectors within the HDD own firmware, never to be accessed again.

The problem still persists tho. The only difference is that file transfer speed between laptop and said PC increased 2000% ( yes !!! 20 times ).

PS. When I power up the PC I hear some short clicks ( HDD maybe ) like something is trying to start moving but it can't. After the several restarts when the BIOS doesn't hang up anymore the clicks are not present. ( besides a one time sound like loading a gun but softer ). I wish I could record them, I don't know if you understand fully.

Thank you for reading at least.

Andrei

andreiiar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Thank you so much hang-the-9. It worked.

A new drive would :)

Risking future data loss by trying to fiddle with a drive that's already having issues is not really worth the cost savings vs buying a new drive.

andreiiar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
NEW STATUS UPDATE!!!

After the windows updates the computer hangs no more. I will mark this as solved.

@hang-the-9 I will disagree with you. I can't see one file that I will cry for if the hard disk fails completely. Thank you for taking your time to read.

PS. I don't know how to mark the thread as "solved".

Status
Not open for further replies.