Bios is not detecting Hard drive

Zero987

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Hello I've recently bought 2 wd2001fass ( western digital 2 TB Caviar black hard drives) and I cant get my bios to detect either one.

Ive check the cables and the ports and they do work fine.

Made sure that the bios settings were correct as well.

I also tried putting the jumpers setting to 150 mb/s just to see if it would detect it. nothing.

Comp spec
I7 920
6 gb ram
EVGA x58 sli ( with bios version ltd 6.00 4/17/2009 Could this be the problem ? )
Vista 64 OS

I'm positive that the hard drives are powering on.

Not sure what else to do...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zero987

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
options for bios for Sata are IDE RAID AHCI

I can also set the Sata Controller to Auto , Enabled , Disabled

I also tried a old hard drive and it worked fine with using the same port and cables

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
the old drive was sata also? not ide? did you try just installing one of the caviar black drives at a time yet? i think at this point if you have done that and gotten no detection, you just got two bad drives. if you got them from newegg, i know a lot of people complain about the way they ship those bare drives, allowing for higher percentage of damaged drives.

Zero987

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
yes the old drive was sata did try one at a time and still got nothing.

I actually got them from bestbuy just seems odd to me to get 2 bad drives.

Will try returning and see what happens.

thanks.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
hey kind of coincidental here...i actually had a similar drive sitting around that i meant to install for backup, and when i went to install it, didnt show up (caviar black 1tb version). difference though which was it was detected in the bios, just not in windows. i went into admin tools and manually added the drive, assigned it a letter, and picked it up. figured i'd mention it, but if you're not even getting it recognized in bios, that probably wont help you much.