[SOLVED] BIOS is only detecting RAM in one slot at a time ?

Oct 22, 2021
Excuse my lingo as I am not tech saavy but I will do my best. Please have patience with me. I have a Dell Latitude e5500 with Windows 10 pro 64-bit and max RAM is 4gb. There are 2 2x2 sticks installed. Bios detects only the 2gb in slot A. I reseated each as well as switched their seating position and Bios only detects slot A. I then put 1 stick at a time in slot A, bios detects each one (and reports slot B as being empty) .

Then I tried each stick individually in slot B, now bios detects the stick in slot B (and slot A as empty) OK, so I put both back in and bios only detects RAM in slot A again. I am assuming since both sticks were detected individually in each slot that:

1) the sticks are not defective
and
2) the RAM slots are not defective.

I also ran the memory diagnostic/test from bios and everything passed. Any suggessions and knowledge you can throw my way would be much appreciated.

Excuse my lingo as I am not tech saavy but I will do my best. Please have patience with me. I have a Dell Latitude e5500 with Windows 10 pro 64-bit and max RAM is 4gb. There are 2 2x2 sticks installed. Bios detects only the 2gb in slot A. I reseated each as well as switched their seating position and Bios only detects slot A. I then put 1 stick at a time in slot A, bios detects each one (and reports slot B as being empty) .

Then I tried each stick individually in slot B, now bios detects the stick in slot B (and slot A as empty) OK, so I put both back in and bios only detects RAM in slot A again. I am assuming since both sticks were detected individually in each slot that:

1) the sticks are not defective
and
2) the RAM slots are not defective.

I also ran the memory diagnostic/test from bios and everything passed. Any suggessions and knowledge you can throw my way would be much appreciated.
Couple of problems.
That machine does not support w10.
That bios does not support a 64 bit OS.

Based on its age replace the bios bat.....cheap test.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch