[SOLVED] BIOS issue...MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro...

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
With the breadboard setup, my first attempt booted into BIOS and sl components were working. I looked around, RAM was at 2133 so I changed it to 3200 matched with the timings of the RAM I have, plus I turned on Game Boost. I clicked Save and Exit, then chose to reboot but it wouldn't reboot (I just read of others having the same issue.. clicking Save and Exit with reboot and nothing happened).

So I flipped the PSU switch, restarted and it wouldn't boot... it powered on for about ten seconds then powered off and kept repeating. I turned it off figuring the memory speed was an issue and reset CMOS by removing the battery (I don't have a jumper pin) for 5 minutes. I powered it on and it booted into BIOS, which from the initial boot the BIOS is just plain black/grey and white, nothing like the screenshots of MSI Click Bios 5 I see.

I changed the RAM to 2400 and tried Save and Exit with reboot and nothing again, so I had to turn off... but before restarting I figured I'd work on the RAM speed later and get Windows installed, so I installed the M.2 drive.

Now when I turn it on, which I'm not sure if it was a key on the keyboard I hit or if it's because the SSD is installed, but it boots to a DOS screen saying something like 'Select boot drive, or insert media to boot drive device.' I tried inserting the Windows USB then hit Enter but nothing happened except the same message repeated.

1) Did I hit a key?
Due to SSD install?
How do I exit or move forward?

*I figured I'd reset CMOS (thinking it will boot to BIOS) and update BIOS...

I have been reading up on things and found like mentioned above there is a glitch with BIOS, so I downloaded the new BIOS (which supports higher memory speeds) and want to install it using M-Flash in BIOS, directly from a USB. I figure updating the BIOS first will save some headaches, especially reading what others have gone through before the update was available.

2) I don't recall seeing the M-Flash option in the BIOS currently installed and the download is a.zip file... does it need to be extracted? I saw one comment say Yes and I saw another that said extracting it messed up BIOS and made the board unusable.

3) If M-Flash isn't available, I guess I have to update BIOS using Flash BIOS button- which it says 'connect CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1 and no other components are necessary,' but does it hurt if breadboard is setup?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Solution
" 'Select boot drive, or insert media to boot drive device.' "

It's telling you whats wrong...you have to select your boot drive priority (which drive you want it to try loading from first) and then select the actual drive in the UEFI/CSM menu.
Also I'd recommend staying away from Game Boost until you've used the system a few days and everything has proved stable.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
If using m-flash, unzip the file. If using Flashback, format the drive as FAT 32 and rename the unzipped file. If checking the board's manual, it's all there.

Yes, in the manual it says to format the drive as FAT32 for Flashback but it doesn't mention anything about the zip file for M-Flash, other than downloading the latest BIOS from the website.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
This is what shows up after resetting the CMOS and powering on. SEE PIC

Before I installed the M.2 SSD it was thre same screen but without the line 'Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices...'

I believe I pressed F1 to into the BIOS.

If it's hard to read:

Press F1 to run setup
Press F2 to load daily values and continue

The manual nor any other source I found mentions this screen, so I'm not sure when I press F1 and when I would press F2.

*This is my first time in BIOS and installing Windows.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
That screen comes up when there is a problem with your BIOS settings.
Press F1, then set your BIOS to Optimized Default Values and save and exit.

What EXACT model RAM kit do you have and are the RAM sticks installed in the correct slots as shown in your manual ?

They should be in slots A2 and B2 for a 2 stick kit.
look at page 31 of your manual:
http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B85v1.2.pdf

You should also list the make and Model of every component in your PC so we can better help you.

Last edited:
" 'Select boot drive, or insert media to boot drive device.' "

It's telling you whats wrong...you have to select your boot drive priority (which drive you want it to try loading from first) and then select the actual drive in the UEFI/CSM menu.
Also I'd recommend staying away from Game Boost until you've used the system a few days and everything has proved stable.

Solution

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
That screen comes up when there is a problem with your BIOS settings.
Press F1, then set your BIOS to Optimized Default Values and save and exit.

What EXACT model RAM kit do you have and are the RAM sticks installed in the correct slots as shown in your manual ?

They should be in slots A2 and B2 for a 2 stick kit.
look at page 31 of your manual:
http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B85v1.2.pdf

You should also list the make and Model of every component in your PC so we can better help you.

Yes, RAM is in A2 and B2 (I read in the manual but there is also a diagram on the mobo next go the DIMM slots.

Here's what I have:

I got into BIOS twice. It wasn't MSI Click BIOS 5 like I've seen in screenshots, it was a basic black and white BIOS with mouse support.

Like I mentioned above each time I made a change and selected Save and Exit with reboot it just stayed a blank screen, never rebooted sho I had to manually turn off. I read earlier disconnecting the reset switch might help, so I just did that to see it helps.

Also mentioned above was many others having similar issues with Save and Exit, etc (60-90 days ago), and MSI was working on an updated, stable BIOS...which I believe is thre version I downsized that was released last month.

I first want to update the BIOS, correct? I do have the M.2 installed but Windows isn't installed. Can I leave the SSD in or should I remove it?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Since you don't have Windows installed on that SSD there is No Boot drive yet.
I would Install Windows from the USB stick and then see if it will boot into Windows.

Once Windows is installed and working, I'd check which BIOS version you have and update it to Version 7B85v14 which has AGESA 1.0.0.6 in it (which the best AGESA version for 2000 series CPUs).

The Newer BIOS versions are specifically designed for 3000 series CPUs and will not work as well with your 2700x.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
So going from the screen I posted a picture of how am I able to install windows? By pressing F1? Or do I need to have the USB plugged in before I power the computer on and it will boot using it (allowing me to install Windows)?

I read about using a specific USB port for flashing BIOS, does it matter which USB port I use for the Windows USB?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would Press f1 then press F4 (which loads Optimized Defaults) while in the BIOS then save settings and reboot.
While it's rebooting tap F11 (repeatedly) to get the Boot menu then choose the Windows USB drive and the installation should start.
You need to have the Windows USB drive plugged into any USB port except the Flashback port.

And PS
You do have a Clear CMOS jumper (it's labeled JBAT1) as shown on page 39 of your Manual.

Last edited:

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I would Press f1 then press F4 (which loads Optimized Defaults) while in the BIOS then save settings and reboot.
While it's rebooting tap F11 (repeatedly) to get the Boot menu then choose the Windows USB drive and the installation should start.
You need to have the Windows USB drive plugged into any USB port except the Flashback port.

And PS
You do have a Clear CMOS jumper (it's labeled JBAT1) as shown on page 39 of your Manual.

Ok thanks, I'll try that in a bit. Hopefully it reboots.

I do know of JBAT1, I meant I don't have a jumper cap and wasn't sure about using a screwdriver or something like that.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Ok thanks, I'll try that in a bit. Hopefully it reboots.

I do know of JBAT1, I meant I don't have a jumper cap and wasn't sure about using a screwdriver or something like that.
A flat head screwdriver works perfectly.
To clear CMOS I do this:
  • Unplug the PC (PSU).
  • Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  • Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC or JBAT1) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  • Plug the PC back in.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  • Repeatedly tap the DEL key
  • A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  • Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is usually on the EXIT tab)
  • Save and exit the BIOS.
  • Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
A flat head screwdriver works perfectly.
To clear CMOS I do this:
  • Unplug the PC (PSU).
  • Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
  • Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC or JBAT1) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
  • Plug the PC back in.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
  • Repeatedly tap the DEL key
  • A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
  • Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is usually on the EXIT tab)
  • Save and exit the BIOS.
  • Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

'Set the Optimized Default Settings,' is that just an option (something I select) or is it specific individual settings?

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I turned it off after taking the previous picture I posted. I just turned it back on (Windows USB NOT plugged in but M.2 SSD is still installed) and it's back to this screen, the screen I mentioned in my OP stating 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.'

I wasn't sure what to do from this point earlier so that's when I reset CMOS. I'll leave it on this screen waiting for a response in case there is something I can do from this point.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I turned it off after taking the previous picture I posted. I just turned it back on (Windows USB NOT plugged in but M.2 SSD is still installed) and it's back to this screen, the screen I mentioned in my OP stating 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.'

I wasn't sure what to do from this point earlier so that's when I reset CMOS. I'll leave it on this screen waiting for a response in case there is something I can do from this point.
You should select the USB drive that has Windows Install on it and proceed to install Windows onto your SSD.
Was the Windows USB drive in a USB port on your MB when you got this message ?
If it is and it wasn't recognized try a different USB port (on the back of the PC/MB).

That message is just telling you that everything is working BUT you need to install Windows so the PC can find the Boot Drive.

PS
Please post any screen shots/pics to imgur.com and then post the link they provide so we can actually see them without that huge watermark.

Last edited:

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
You should select the USB drive that has Windows Install on it and proceed to install Windows onto your SSD.
Was the Windows USB drive in a USB port on your MB when you got this message ?
If it is and it wasn't recognized try a different USB port (on the back of the PC/MB).

That message is just telling you that everything is working BUT you need to install Windows so the PC can find the Boot Drive.

PS
Please post any screen shots/pics to imgur.com and then post the link they provide so we can actually see them without that huge watermark.

Sorry, didn't know the pics have watermarks... it's been a while since I've used PhotoBucket.

No, the Windows USB wasn't/isn't plugged in when powering on (or now). I expected to see the screen saying 'Press F1...., Press F2...' (image labeled Boot Screen- pics) so I could do what you mentioned- press F1 then F4 for Optimized Default Settings, save and reboot then install Windows.

You said 'You should select the USB drive that has Windows Install on it and proceed to install Windows onto your SSD.' Yesterday, when I first saw the 'Reboot Screen' I plugged the Windows USB in to the mobo I/O (not the flashback Port, but a USB 3.0 port), and hit the Enter key but nothing happened... the message just repeated. Are you saying I should be able to install windows from the 'Reboot Screen?'

*Just to clarify- This morning I cleared CMOS and powered on and I saw the 'Boot Screen.' After powering off (waiting for a response to my original post) then back on (after reading your response) I got the screen in the image 'Reboot Screen.' The same thing happened last night, which is why I cleared the CMOS this morning.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Try booting with the Windows USB plugged in and see if it will recognize it automatically.
If it does it should boot from the USB and start the Windows Install automatically.

If it doesn't recognize the USB, reboot and tap F11 (repeatedly) to get to the Boot menu then choose the Windows USB drive and the installation should start.

Last edited:

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Try booting with the Windows USB plugged in and see if it will recognize it automatically.
If it does it should boot from the USB and start the Windows Install automatically.

If it doesn't recognize the USB, reboot and tap F11 (repeatedly) to get to the Boot menu then choose the Windows USB drive and the installation should start.

Ok, thanks...trying it now

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Ok, I used a different USB port than yesterday and it booted right to the Windows install on the first try.

You were saying to check BIOS version after installing Windows? Where do I need to go to find that info?

Also, I noticed when first going into BIOS yesterday RAM is running at 2133. Since I have 3200 what is the best way to figure out the max speed the system is stable at?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Ok, I used a different USB port than yesterday and it booted right to the Windows install on the first try.

You were saying to check BIOS version after installing Windows? Where do I need to go to find that info?

Also, I noticed when first going into BIOS yesterday RAM is running at 2133. Since I have 3200 what is the best way to figure out the max speed the system is stable at?
Glad to hear it worked.

The BIOS version should be displayed on the upper right side of the main screen of your BIOS.
Look on page 46 of your Manual to see where it is shown.

If it is older than version 7B85v14, then you should update it to that version because it improves RAM compatibility.
Version 7B85v14
Release Date 2019-01-31
File Size 10.83 MB

Description
- Improve memory compatibility.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

As for the RAM speed,
That exact model kit (CMT32GX4M2C3200C16) isn't on the QVL:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#support-mem-14

But it might still work at 3200 MHz.
I would enable the A-XMP 3200 profile in the BIOS BUT set the DRAM Frequency to 2666 MHz (look at page 57 of your Manual) and see if that will boot.
If it does then set it to 2800 and save and reboot and see if that boots.
If 2800 works try 2933 and save and reboot, again if that works with the DRAM frequency to 3200 and see if that boots.
The reason for doing it one step at a time is to find out what the fastest speed your MB will run your exact RAM kit.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Ok, gonna work on it. Dumb question, do I repeatedly press Delete to enter BIOS while Windows is booting? I saw that on a build video but it was a different brand motherboard and I had no luck searching for the answer.

An oddity, the physical manual is only 38 pages but the PDF is 111.

TRENDING THREADS