Oct 30, 2020
So I just got done cleaning my PC for the first time today, about 6 months since I built everything. Anyways I applied new thermal paste to the CPU, the CPU was out of the socket for maybe 10 mins max. Upon rebooting my system I got a cmos cleared message. Is this normal? It seemed odd to me.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2060
Gigabyte AORUS B450 Elite
Corair RMX750w gold
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD
WD Black 1TB HDD

Solution
mine did the same thing to me when i changed coolers and lifted the cpu to clean it. think it is just a quirk of the bios.

i have a b450 aorus pro and a 3700x so similar set-up to you. do check to be sure any settings you changed are still where they need to be. i had to put a couple back after it reset on me.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
mine did the same thing to me when i changed coolers and lifted the cpu to clean it. think it is just a quirk of the bios.

i have a b450 aorus pro and a 3700x so similar set-up to you. do check to be sure any settings you changed are still where they need to be. i had to put a couple back after it reset on me.

Solution
Oct 30, 2020

Yeah I reapplied the settings straight away once I got message, maybe the bios reconfigures the CPU upon boot? I have no idea. Thanks for the reply.