[SOLVED] BIOS issues with ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
My System is:
Asus rampage IV Extreme motherboard
Cosair ax1200i PSU
3 Nivida GeForce Titan 6 GB HydroCopper Signature GPU in 3 way SLI in slots1,2 and 4 (water cooled)
cosair dominator 64MB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
2 WD red 2 TB HHD in RAID 1
Blue ray DVD
Primary drive with BM is Samsung 860 Pro 1T (SSD)

My previous SSD died so I replaced with Samsung 860 Pro 1T as noted above. I had to do a system restore using Acronic. Since then I can't automatically boot into Windows 10 pro O.S. System boots to as far as AmericanMegaTrend window and then I am forced to hit F1. This takes me to BIOS. My settings seem correct, but the only way to boot completely into Windows 10 is by doing a "Force Boot" from the Windows Manager-Samsung 860 Pro SSD.
I have been in contact with ASUS , but frankly, not much help. They suggested cleaing the CMOS; I did that with no help.

I have the most up to date BIOS Version from ASUS installed

At ASUS forum a response to do the following was given:
Here is the procedure for install of Windows 10 on NVMe drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVMe drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVMe drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the installation.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

I performed it exactly and again no help.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
My System is:
Cosair ax1200i PSU
3 Nivida GeForce Titan 6 GB HydroCopper Signature GPU in 3 way SLI in slots1,2 and 4 (water cooled)
Blue ray DVD

My previous SSD died so I replaced with Samsung 860 Pro 1T as noted above. I had to do a system restore using Acronic. Since then I can't automatically boot into Windows 10 pro O.S. System boots to as far as AmericanMegaTrend window and then I am forced to hit F1. This takes me to BIOS. My settings seem correct, but the only way to boot completely into Windows 10 is by doing a "Force Boot" from the Windows Manager-Samsung 860 Pro...

martinsykes

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
My System is:
Cosair ax1200i PSU
Blue ray DVD

My previous SSD died so I replaced with Samsung 860 Pro 1T as noted above. I had to do a system restore using Acronic. Since then I can't automatically boot into Windows 10 pro O.S. System boots to as far as AmericanMegaTrend window and then I am forced to hit F1. This takes me to BIOS. My settings seem correct, but the only way to boot completely into Windows 10 is by doing a "Force Boot" from the Windows Manager-Samsung 860 Pro SSD.
I have been in contact with ASUS , but frankly, not much help. They suggested cleaing the CMOS; I did that with no help.

I have the most up to date BIOS Version from ASUS installed

At ASUS forum a response to do the following was given:
Here is the procedure for install of Windows 10 on NVMe drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVMe drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVMe drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the installation.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

I performed it exactly and again no help.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, unlike most issues with the REIV, your issue is a very simple fix.:

Hold down F2 during switch on to get into the BIOS.
Select the BIOS 'Boot' screen.
Select the option for HD order (under BIOS Boot screen) and move your new SSD to the top of the list of all your HDs and return back to the main 'Boot' screen.
Then go through the 'Boot Order' (not forced boot) selecting Windows EUFI boot (for your new drive) in No.1 position, then the normal (name) SSD HD in No.2 position and (if you have one) DVD/BD Drive in No.3 position.
Save settings and exit - job done!
If the settings are not being retained you may also need to replace your BIOS battery?

As an aside, what stable 'all cores' CPU clock are you achieving, 4.4, 4.5 or 4.6 and with what core voltage (the automated BIOS OC settings push far beyond 1.4V most of the time when you only need 1.3!

Regards,

Mart1968

Also what memory size and speed are you running?

Solution

martinsykes

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
PS
We have very similar systems. I am just in the process of stripping down my three EVGA Hydro Coppers to replace the TIM and whatever rubbish paste was used on the water-blocks. My 'load' temps have increased by almost 10 Celsius since 2015. I will let you know how I get on with better TG TIM and paste.

Please be aware that EVGA's water-block instructions are much better than SwifTechs (Komodo).

Regards,

Mart1968