Jan 4, 2021
Good afternoon,

TLDR: Laptop stuck on old BIOS version 1.3.12, Aug 2017 and unable to update
Machine in question: Alienware 17 R3. Purchased in 2015, warranty expired in 2017

Problems:

• Error when trying to update BIOS: Error: secure flash check failure !!
    +
    This error is the final obstacle I've encountered when trying to fix the machine, am stuck here.
  • Error on boot: (A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed
    +
    It will boot to desktop after idling on this error for 1-10 minutes, usually
  • On startup, but only ever after stalling on the (A7) error: "No bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics"
    +
    An F1 reboot has always resulted in a successful launch to the desktop.
  • Blue screen error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR occasionally, when trying to navigate through Windows

What I've tried:

I posted originally in the Dell community forums last week but did not get any assistance. Originally encountered this problem in 2017, threw the laptop into storage when moving and bought a desktop. Took it out of storage last week and was able to start getting to desktop consistently (after boot errors) after changing boot mode to UEFI Boot mode last week. Would like to try and resolve the BIOS issues during the winter holidays, as all other hardware and laptop components work basically good as new after running Dell and 3rd party diagnostics.

When the laptop is able to boot, I will edit the OP with more system info, as I am posting from my desktop at present.
Thank you in advance for any help or replies.

Solution
Good afternoon,

Machine in question: Alienware 17 R3. Purchased in 2015, warranty expired in 2017

Problems:

+
    This error is the final obstacle I've encountered when trying to fix the machine, am stuck here.
    +
  • On startup, but only ever after stalling on the (A7) error: "No bootable devices -- strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics"
    +
    An F1 reboot has always...
Good afternoon,

Problems:

+
    +
    +
    An F1 reboot has always resulted in a successful launch to the desktop.
  • Blue screen error code WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR occasionally, when trying to navigate through Windows

What I've tried:

I posted originally in the Dell community forums last week but did not get any assistance. Originally encountered this problem in 2017, threw the laptop into storage when moving and bought a desktop. Took it out of storage last week and was able to start getting to desktop consistently (after boot errors) after changing boot mode to UEFI Boot mode last week. Would like to try and resolve the BIOS issues during the winter holidays, as all other hardware and laptop components work basically good as new after running Dell and 3rd party diagnostics.

When the laptop is able to boot, I will edit the OP with more system info, as I am posting from my desktop at present.
Thank you in advance for any help or replies.
Your experiencing harsware issues, thats what the bsod is. I would recommend pulling the hdd and trying to do bios update without installed.

Solution
Jan 4, 2021
The BSOD happens very intermittently, only once every 15 or 20 uses... but I will try that and report back tomorrow or in a couple days. I have never removed hardware out of a laptop before. I ran scans with CrystalDiskInfo and the Dell diagnostics and they reported back the ssd/hdd were "functioning at 95% health." It wouldn't hurt to try anything at this point, though.

The BSOD happens very intermittently, only once every 15 or 20 uses... but I will try that and report back tomorrow or in a couple days. I have never removed hardware out of a laptop before. I ran scans with CrystalDiskInfo and the Dell diagnostics and they reported back the ssd/hdd were "functioning at 95% health." It wouldn't hurt to try anything at this point, though.
It wasn't the hdd/ssd that was the problem it's just safer in my opinion to do a bios update with no extra drives plugged in. I had a once in a million thing happen to me about two weeks ago building a pc for my brother, when I updated the bios the old one crashed and the new one installed the the m.2 drive and crashed the while system had to replace the mobo and ssd.