TheNinjaSniper115

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017
I turned off the light on my mobo off through the bios, and its fine after the first time i switch my pc off, but then when i switch it on and off again it seems to reset the setting (i made it so when the pc is off, the light is off too), was wondering if anyone knows of a fix or is this is pointing to a bigger issue ?
thanks

Solution
That small light that is always on is probably just indicating that power is available to the motherboard.
The 5VSB LED on older motherboards is usually hard-wired to 5VSB and not configurable. Most modern motherboards have RGB lights and those are the ones you can configure in BIOS to do some number of different things like different colors for off, standby and on.

If the BIOS is keeping other options and RGB is the only thing that gets "forgotten" after a shutdown, that sounds like the BIOS is forgetting to save RGB options which would require a BIOS update to fix.

TheNinjaSniper115

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What is/was the reason for turning off the light on the mobo? Some problem or other issue?

gtx 1660 super
asus tuf b450 pro motherboard
ryzen 72700x
1x corsair venance lpx 8gb 2666mhz ram
corsair cx650m psu

the reason i switched the lights off was because it was annoying when i was trying to sleep, there isnt much other reason

Ralston18

Titan
Is the light on the motherboard or the case?

This motherboard:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._GAMING/E14788_TUF_B450-PRO_GAMING_UM_web.pdf

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual].

When you change (changed) the setting are you also doing some sort of a "Save", "OK", or other confirmation action to make the change permanent?

For the most part if necessary, go low tech. Just put some suitably sized object in the line of sight between you and the annoying light.

TheNinjaSniper115

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017
Is the light on the motherboard or the case?

This motherboard:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._GAMING/E14788_TUF_B450-PRO_GAMING_UM_web.pdf

[Verify that I found the correct User Manual].

When you change (changed) the setting are you also doing some sort of a "Save", "OK", or other confirmation action to make the change permanent?

For the most part if necessary, go low tech. Just put some suitably sized object in the line of sight between you and the annoying light.

yeah i every time i leave i pick the option that says save and reset, but the issue i have is that the way my room is set up, i cant block it, so what i do to sleep is turn it off at the power supply (once its off of course) and im sure this isnt the best for my pc health but i dont have any other options at this point.

edit: sorry i missed the question, its a small light on the motherboard that doesn't switch off

Ralston18

Titan
That small light that is always on is probably just indicating that power is available to the motherboard.

How is it that you are seeing a light inside the case on the motherboard?

Take a photograph or two of the light and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Not sure that I fully understand the circumstances/arrangement of things.

= = = =

Powering off via the PSU is not good for the system.

Three suggestions:

1) Install a new CMOS battery

2) Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix any corrupted files.,

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

3) Use the normal Windows shutdown icon for a few days and allow Windows to catch up on its' "housekeeping" (updates, saving settings, etc.) Thereafter, once the normal shutdown is complete then you turn off power to the PSU/host computer.

Also, again, just try putting some other object in the line of sight between you and the annoying light. Maybe just a piece of dark paper to cover the light but do not block any ventilation holes.

TheNinjaSniper115

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017

How is it that you are seeing a light inside the case on the motherboard?

Take a photograph or two of the light and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Not sure that I fully understand the circumstances/arrangement of things.

= = = =

Powering off via the PSU is not good for the system.

Three suggestions:

1) Install a new CMOS battery

2) Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix any corrupted files.,

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

3) Use the normal Windows shutdown icon for a few days and allow Windows to catch up on its' "housekeeping" (updates, saving settings, etc.) Thereafter, once the normal shutdown is complete then you turn off power to the PSU/host computer.

Also, again, just try putting some other object in the line of sight between you and the annoying light. Maybe just a piece of dark paper to cover the light but do not block any ventilation holes.

id just like to reiterate that i dont turn my pc off with the psu switch, i use the normal windows shut down button, then once it is off and i got to bed i switch the psu off.
i also ran the scan prompt and it said corrupted files had been found and repaired, is there anything else i need to do?

Ralston18

Titan
Hopefully not.

As long as Windows has gone through and completed its' shutdown process then it is okay to turn off the PSU.

However, reading back I noted your mention of "reset" - if I understand correctly you mean that the system goes back to default settings. Mobo light/LED does not stay off as you configured it to do.

Try a new CMOS battery.

InvalidError

Titan
The 5VSB LED on older motherboards is usually hard-wired to 5VSB and not configurable. Most modern motherboards have RGB lights and those are the ones you can configure in BIOS to do some number of different things like different colors for off, standby and on.

If the BIOS is keeping other options and RGB is the only thing that gets "forgotten" after a shutdown, that sounds like the BIOS is forgetting to save RGB options which would require a BIOS update to fix.

Solution

TheNinjaSniper115

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017

ok thanks ill try that, if it doesnt work ill try the new cmos batteru