Question BIOS keeps reverting to CPU graphics.

Mar 17, 2019
Hello,
I recently built my first ITX build. It powered on fine but connected to my GPu there was no display on my monitor. I then used my motherboard graphics to get into bios to boot. So I plugged my cables back to the GPU still nothing. I then researched this and found that I had to set my primary graphics to PEG/ PCIe.
That did the trick. Momentarily. Every now and then my monitor says "no input detected" I switch my HDMI back to my on board graphics, back to bios, change primary graphics to GPU/PEG/PICe. Even left at auto the bios keeps reverting to CPU graphics. I have updated bios.

Hardware : Asus Z390-I
Asus rtx 2070 Oc
phanteks evolv shift x
Also my case has the GPU I/O mounted vertically So the case came with a PCIe extension cable. the cable sits properly on the motherboard expansion slot but does not Lock. I Have tried to get to lock in place by doing everything but it can be pulled out with a pinch and a pull.
I do have a PCIe cable coming in from Amazon.
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the support.
I may have left something out So please don't hesitate to ask. My computer skills are anything but great.

Last edited:
Silly question: after changing graphics option in BIOS did you save the settings before leaving BIOS?

Other note of interest: You have a PCIe cable coming from Amazon. What is this for? (It half makes me suspect you haven't plugged in the power connectors for the graphics card.)

Mar 17, 2019
Silly question: after changing graphics option in BIOS did you save the settings before leaving BIOS?

Other note of interest: You have a PCIe cable coming from Amazon. What is this for? (It half makes me suspect you haven't plugged in the power connectors for the graphics card.)
It’s not a silly question. I do save the settings each time.
The PCIE extension is due to the case. It’s itx case that has the IO on top and not the back. I also have the power connectors plugged in. 6 plus 6+2...something like that.

Mar 17, 2019
It's using the CPU's integrated graphics because you're connected to the motherboard. That's not going to change until you can get the GPU working.
The gpu works (somestimes) but doesn’t send the output to the monitor. Because for some reason primary graphics keeps being set to “cpu graphics”
I was using the pc earlier with a type c display cable connected to my monitor. However sooner than later. I will have to connect it to my mobo to Access bios because “primary graphics” will be reverted to cpu graphics

DSzymborski

Titan
The gpu works (somestimes) but doesn’t send the output to the monitor. Because for some reason primary graphics keeps being set to “cpu graphics”
I was using the pc earlier with a type c display cable connected to my monitor. However sooner than later. I will have to connect it to my mobo to Access bios because “primary graphics” will be reverted to cpu graphics

It's set to primary graphics because the monitor is connected to the motherboard; you can't use the GPU to display while you're connected to the motherboard.

Mar 17, 2019
It's set to primary graphics because the monitor is connected to the motherboard; you can't use the GPU to display while you're connected to the motherboard.
I understand what you are saying. I know if i connect an HDMI to the Mobo I can't expect the gpu graphics to work with one monitor.
the only reason I connect to the integrated graphics is because randomly the gpu graphics will stop displaying. I then disconnect the hdmi from the GPU, connect the hdmi to Mobo, restart the PC, enter bios, chnage primary graphics back to PEG/PCIe.
Im only ever using ONE display cable at a time. I've used type C, HDMI , DIsplay Port cables. They all do the same.