[SOLVED] BIOS lists SSD as attached to SATA but not in boot drives if AHCI

Mar 8, 2020
Hi all,
Samsung NP-R710H laptop, latest bios. Picked a BX500 240GB SSD from crucial (because they say its compatible).
Cloned the sys drive to the BX500, shutdown machine, installed BX500.
Drive is listed as attached to SATA.
Drive is not listed under AHCI-HDD.
If I switch to IDE in Bios, it does list it and I can boot (but then vista obviouly fails).
Crucial storage executive quick test of the drive hooked as external on another machine is successfull.
Question: wha should I try to have AHCI recognize the drive ?
Thank you for any clarification on this puzzling problem.
Ph.J.D.

Mar 8, 2020
Hi and thank you for your answer.
I used acronis true image Home (ATIH) to make a Disk image of the original drive (180gB SSD) using another computer. I then used that same computer and ATIH to restore the disk image on the new SSD (250GB). The noticed partitions have been resized in doing that. Then I put the new SSD in the Samsung laptop thta did not recognize the drive for boot in the bios.
Wondering if the copy of the image would be less efficient than cloning, I used AOEMI to make a copy of the drive using the laptop, source SSD in the laptop, New one in a USB dock. That is what I called cloning in my original message.
So technically I did not do a sector by sector clone unless the ATIH restoration does that without me knowing it.
I could try a sector by sector cloning but I am curious to learn how that makes a difference for the BIOS to recognize the drive when operating in AHCI. I did not think AHCI mode relied on what is written on the disk but rather, operated at the electronics level.

"If you switch windows to IDE before changing the bios it will work. "
Will try that.
Thank you.
Ph.J.D.