[SOLVED] BIOS needed for old Acer/ECS SF2/661FX Motherboard

ALEX0264

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
Hello,

Bit of a long shot this one, not sure if anyone will be able to help, but thought I would ask anyway!

Attempting to build a 'retro' (well mid 2000's) system based on the PGA478 socket. The board in question is an ECS SF2/661FX Rev 1.1, Acer branded. I made a critical error when updating the BIOS (never update BIOS late on a Friday night), and ended up flashing it with an older BIOS! I didn't even save the one that was on there (which the utility even offered to do for me). After (literally) hours of trawling the web I cannot find anything anywhere. Currently it has a 2004 BIOS, but it used to have a 2005 BIOS. The newer BIOS slowed the CPU fan right down, but with the older BIOS it's running at full speed all the time!

Is there anyone out there who by any chance has this BIOS file knocking around? I genuinely don't know where else to look!

Thanks

Solution
This is the only BIOS update I see ANYWHERE for that board.

You might check the BIOSmod forums.
This is the only BIOS update I see ANYWHERE for that board.

You might check the BIOSmod forums.

Solution
Don't download drivers or BIOS updates from anyplace other than the motherboard manufacturer, the manufacturer of the specific component ON the motherboard (Such as Intel, for NIC adapters, etc.) or Microsoft. Sketchy sites like that one are a good way to grab a quick infection or bork your whole system with a driver that was not right for your system to begin with.

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
in a corner of that MB is BIOS chip, take a numbers and google, you might find one to buy . they are easy to replace.
try contact manufacturer, maybe they can send you one or give link to one... or will accept to flash your EEPROM chip for you.

ALEX0264

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
Thank you everyone for your quick responses, especially considering this is old hardware!

In all honesty this'll just go down as one of those 'mistakes' we all make. I work in IT during the day and then decided to do more at 10PM at night - not a good idea!

I will persist with this for a bit longer. If I have any success I will respond back here.
-

ALEX0264

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
Well unbelievably the board now has the 2005 BIOS again! I registered on the Acer forums and by some stroke of luck, someone pointed me to the old Acer file repository. Should anyone ever need anything from there, here is the link ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/Archiv/desktop/.

Thank you again for the inputs. This can now be closed!

TRENDING THREADS