Question BIOS not accessible with GPU Installed as there's no display until Windows log-in screen comes up. Fast Boot Disabled.

Aug 11, 2021
I can get into BIOS by removing the GPU, and windows runs flawlessly with or without the card, but I have no way of accessing the BIOS with the GPU installed. When I shift + restart I can get into the windows repair tools, but cannot get to BIOS even from there, and resetting CMOS does nothing. Any time or method that should lead to BIOS just gives me a black screen, and I do not get a splash screen when powering on PC. The GPU will not display anything before the windows login screen. It is a placeholder GPU until prices come down/40 series release, whichever comes first, but I would like to make sure it isn't an issue elsewhere in the system. I also tested a linux drive, and the same thing happens.
GPU will not display anything prior to loading the OS.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 Gaming X
CPU: Intel 12700K
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070
RAM: 16 GB Adata XPG 3200
PSU: EVGA G2 1300 W (PSU I planned to use was dead, and this was the only one I had that used same cables so yeah I know it's overkill.)
Storage: 860 Evo 500G, 2x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB
Case: be-quiet! Pure Base 500DX

Looking for a way to access my BIOS without tearing my GPU out of the case.

Aug 11, 2021
This motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...atures.pdf?v=5fac642b9526a9b8fc03f91e82734b97

[Note: Do verify that I found the applicable motherboard manual.]

How are you attempting to access BIOS?

For example, per Page 4, Step 4. of the linked manual you should be pressing the DELETE key during POST.

Does the DELETE key work?
No, like I said, I cannot get the system to display anything prior to the OS loading as long as there is a GPU installed. I have tried spamming the key on power up, but it just has a black screen until windows. No splash screen prior. I believe it may have to do with the GPU BIOS being outdated and therefore incompatible with the newer motherboard BIOS, but I don't have a more recent card to test that. That and I only know how to BIOS mod AMD cards, not Nvidia.

When I use the gigabyte FastBoot app to "Enter BIOS Setup Now" I get a black screen, then it just loads windows. When I go into windows recovery and do an advanced startup, same thing. Black screen until windows loads. From there the path that is supposed to open BIOS just black screens and loads up windows as normal.
I have tried displaying from both the GPU & Motherboard ports with the GPU installed, but both result in black screen.
Note again that if I remove the GPU, I get display as normal and the BIOS becomes accessible as it is supposed to through integrated graphics.

No, like I said, I cannot get the system to display anything prior to the OS loading as long as there is a GPU installed. I have tried spamming the key on power up, but it just has a black screen until windows. No splash screen prior. I believe it may have to do with the GPU BIOS being outdated and therefore incompatible with the newer motherboard BIOS, but I don't have a more recent card to test that. That and I only know how to BIOS mod AMD cards, not Nvidia.

When I use the gigabyte FastBoot app to "Enter BIOS Setup Now" I get a black screen, then it just loads windows. When I go into windows recovery and do an advanced startup, same thing. Black screen until windows loads. From there the path that is supposed to open BIOS just black screens and loads up windows as normal.
I have tried displaying from both the GPU & Motherboard ports with the GPU installed, but both result in black screen.
Note again that if I remove the GPU, the BIOS becomes accessible as it is supposed to through integrated graphics.
If using DP try hdmi or hdmi to DP.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree - try the above.

= = = =

Question regarding "It is a placeholder GPU ":

Does the GPU work in another known working computer?

Does another known working GPU work in your computer?

Determine if the black display follows the placeholder GPU or stays with your computer.

Where did you get the placeholder GPU? New, refurbished, used? Do you know anything about its' history: maybe heavy gaming use or bit-mining for example?

Are you able to get more information about the GTX 1070?

Reference:

https://www.compuhoy.com/how-do-i-find-my-graphics-card-bios-version/

I did some searches regarding how to BIOS Nvidia cards but what I found I would not recommend or link.

Seemed to involve bit-mining and otherwise actions putting the GPU at risk. Wondering if some similar action in the past has affected the GPU.....

Aug 11, 2021
If using DP try hdmi or hdmi to DP.
No effect.

Agree - try the above.

= = = =

Question regarding "It is a placeholder GPU ":

Does the GPU work in another known working computer?

Does another known working GPU work in your computer?

Determine if the black display follows the placeholder GPU or stays with your computer.

Where did you get the placeholder GPU? New, refurbished, used? Do you know anything about its' history: maybe heavy gaming use or bit-mining for example?

Are you able to get more information about the GTX 1070?

Reference:

https://www.compuhoy.com/how-do-i-find-my-graphics-card-bios-version/

I did some searches regarding how to BIOS Nvidia cards but what I found I would not recommend or link.

Seemed to involve bit-mining and otherwise actions putting the GPU at risk. Wondering if some similar action in the past has affected the GPU.....

GPU has been used for Ethereum mining off and on for several years. The GPU was new prior to mining.

It works fine in another (older) system and can access the BIOS as well as operate in the OS. It is only when paired with the 12th gen CPU that I cannot access BIOS. I am also aware that Intel 12th gen is having a bunch of strange issues.

I have not had a chance to try another GPU in its place.

Here is the link to the card on gigabyte's website. I am not sure if it is a rev 1.0 or 2.0
AORUS GeForce® GTX 1070 8G (rev. 2.0) Key Features | Graphics Card - GIGABYTE Global

Sep 8, 2022
Hello,
Any luck with this problem? I have exactly the same symthomps as you.
No video on screen before windows.
On the internal video card it worked just fine. I disabled it via uefi and left expansion graphical card in use, and now i cannot access UEFI anymore. Just black screen stuck.
Listing my hardware has no point, because noth motherboard and graphic card are fine and working. It looks like a setting problem or bug somewhere to not display video during POST and later until system.
Anyway, i5-12600K, gtx 650ti, gigabyte b660 ds3h ax