BIOS not detecting GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Hello!
I am having troubles with my GPU not displaying during the POST and during windows.

My Radeon HD 4850 was working just fine until I tooked it out and plugged in a Radeon HD 4670 to test it out for one of my friend. I was reusing the same driver for my HD 4850 and it worked well.
Booted up my PC this morning and i now have a blank screen. My PC was still using the HD 4670.

The onboard GPU works but not the HD 4670 or the HD 4850.

Here are my PC spec:
Motherboard - Asrock N68 VS3 UCC
CPU - AMD Athlon II x2 250
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 4850 (ASUS version)
Memory - Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz 2x2GB (the actual speed that I use is 1333mhz)
HDD - Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200RPM
PSU - Rosewill RD400 2DB
Monitor - Samsung 1440x900 using a VGA connector
OS - Windows 7 64 bit

Having listed my PC spec I will now type out what i have done so far.

-Cleared the CMOS.

-Tested the ATI Radeon HD 4850 and the HD 4670 on another one of my friend's PC and both displays the POST screen.

-Tested an old Radeon x300 on my motherboard and it, to my amazement, displays the POST screen!

-PCIE is the primary graphics in the BIOS.

-I have uninstalled the onboard gpu driver to no avail.

-Checked to see that I have the latest BIOS which I do.

That is pretty much it. I don't think that my Motherboard is faulty nor my HD 4850 as well. Could it be the AMD Driver which I already uninstalled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Also I gave the Radeon HD 4670 back to my friend.

Solution

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Ok i looked into the device manager there is no "display device" but under "Other devices" the X300 is listed as Video Controller.

Now for the HD 4850.
When I was using the onboard GPU while the HD 4850 is still plugged in on my motherboard with it's fan running.
I did check the Device manager and only the onboard GPU is listed under the Display.

I could try again.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Under the Display Adapter:
NVIDIA Geforce 7025 / NVIDA nForce 630a (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

No signs of the Radeon HD 4850 anywhere on Device Manager.
Radeon HD 4850 is plugged in and fan is spinning.

Then the card is not getting a good connection in the pci slot.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

I am totally confused here.
How come the ATI x300 works but not the HD 4850, I mean they are both using the same slot.

Well do you have any other options that i should try?
I am thinking about doing a reinstall of windows or buy another Motherboard....

I already mentioned what to try. Lift the card and start tje machine. Next try to let it hang and start it. This will put pressure on the coonection in a different way to try to make it connect.

Reimstalling windows will not help because it is a physical hardware issue. Replacing the motherboard will because it will change the pci slot. Try my suggestion first.

The reason one will connect pdroperly and the other wont could be a few things. Dirty connections, broken tab on he card, slightly different thickness of the pcb board.

Solution

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Ok I guess it is time to close the thread.
I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

Thank you for replying and good night.

jonvinnes

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015

hi! so what happened now to your issue? is ok now?

Salamiman1

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Hi all,
I had this very problem & tried every trick in the book, googled the absolute shit out of it & wasted hours looking for what i thought was a software issue.
Fan was on yet had a black screen, no cursor, nothing.
Begunner in my case was totally correct.
I measured with a verier the distance between the front mounting plate & start of the connectors & there was approx .5mm of difference between a non working & working card, so i carefully bent the mounting bracket to adjust it to match the working card.
The other thing B4 replacing the card, I rubbed the connectors on the card with a synthetic scouring pad, & had already cleaned the PCI slot previously.
To my surprise the card worked no issues at all, just set it up as a std GPU install
So in conclusion I'm not 100% sure which of the 2 remidies worked, but it was definitively a connection/alignment issue as stated by bgunner, not a software/BIOS one.
Hope this helps someone else!
Thanks for your help, most appreciated!