Sep 14, 2019
I have a Lenovo Ideapad flex 5-1570. On startup i get the blue error message saying boot failed and hard disk can’t be detected. I go into bios settings and see if legacy support is on and secure boot is off (had this problem before and fixed it that way) but the boot mode is locked on UEFI and grey. I have no idea how to unlock this and tried tampering with the settings to allow me to switch to legacy but nothing seems to work. I’m positive that my hard disk is working and cables are fine. Please help i need this for college. I’ve already tried taking out bios battery and then some;

Solution
Usually the UEFI mode is only grayed out when Secure boot is enabled. Regardless, generally BIOS problems don't resolve on their own and then come back to haunt you later but hardware problems can, especially memory issues and so can malware. What does the Blue Screen say is the cause for not booting. Also, are you using an anti-virus program?
Sep 14, 2019
Has this just started happening? Have you recently made a change(s)? Is this a new hard drive? What make/ model hard drive are you trying to boot?
I usually get this problem after i get home from school and at first i believed that it was occurring after i would connect to my colleges wifi. It happens a couple times last year and stopped during summer (when i wasn’t going to school) and now it randomly came back after school started. I’m not 100% sure which make hard drive i have but everything is original from when i bought this pc anlittle over a year ago.

Usually the UEFI mode is only grayed out when Secure boot is enabled. Regardless, generally BIOS problems don't resolve on their own and then come back to haunt you later but hardware problems can, especially memory issues and so can malware. What does the Blue Screen say is the cause for not booting. Also, are you using an anti-virus program?

Solution