Aug 1, 2020
Hey!
I've built months ago my new PC with these specs:
Motherboard - MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk
CPU - i9-9900KS
Memory - 4 G.Skill 8Gb
GPU - EVGA 2080 ti
Storage - 2 HDDs (one of 4TB another of 3TB), 2 SATA SSDs (Samsung with 500gb and Intel with 250GB) and a XPG M.2 500gb SSD for windows.

I bought a new Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Plus M.2, them I opened the windows installation, format my XPG M.2 and turned off the PC. Swap the old M.2 with a new one, switched the RAM places, and went to installing windows on the new M.2. Then on the hard drive selection menu I've noticed that my Samsung SATA SSD was missing (I didn't even touch the Sata cables).
So I've switched him with another Sata port that was working (I know because it recognizes the SSD there) and nothing, it just doesn't show on the BIOS and Windows. Just this Samsung SSD is dead. I even switched the SATA cable and nothing.again.

Also what is this Hot Plug on Sata ports?

What can I do? Did my SSD just died?
Thanks!

Aug 1, 2020
Make sure your drives are placed with conjunction with m.2 & SATA combination table (page 29 of your mb manual).
I've looked into that, should work now but still don't show my Samsung SATA SSD on the BIOS.
I've had the M.2 Installed on the 2° PCIe Port, so I changed to the first, and by the table every SATA port should work now, but Samsung SSD SATA isn't showing.
I remember that I've disconnected all SATAs and let just the cable of the Samsung SSD and it still don't recognize it, maybe it's a driver problem because I installed the new EVO 970 Plus (and this SATA SSD is the old 870)?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Hm it's strange but you might be right with the drivers. To put it bluntly and from what I understand ur ssd worked with conjunction with the previous m.2 used as system. I'd try to follow with the windows installation on the new m.2 and then see does bios pick it up again.

Reactions: PhoenixBRnnf
Aug 1, 2020
Hm it's strange but you might be right with the drivers. To put it bluntly and from what I understand ur ssd worked with conjunction with the previous m.2 used as system. I'd try to follow with the windows installation on the new m.2 and then see does bios pick it up again.
Hey made it work! Thanks for the help you saved me.
I've just made the exact combination needed on the SATA ports and it worked. The final combination is:

M2_1 - Samsung SSD 970 Evo 1TB
M2_2 - Empty
SATA1 - Empty
SATA2 - Intel SSD 250GB
SATA 3 - Samsung SSD 870 500GB
SATA 4 - WDC HD 3TB
SATA 5 - Empty
SATA 6 - ST HD 4TB

For some reason it worked, thanks a lot!

Reactions: piechockidocent9