[SOLVED] BIOS not seeing installed ram/amount of ram changing at each boot up

Jun 18, 2020
Hi all,

I have a Msi MS-7207 V2.0 K8NGM2 that I got used from a family member. I've been fixing/cleaning it up trying to make it into a little ubuntu server. I have gotten pretty much everything setup, but I've recently noticed not all the ram I have installed is showing up (4gb). I've checked the BIOS and it isn't showing up there either. I've tried swapping all the ram into different positions and combinations just to see if anything worked.

Some of the things I've noticed is that the ram seen seems to be a random number most of the time (~1568gb, ~786, ~1900, 3008), and when it checks the ram it fails the first time then succeeds the second time.

Could this be the ram failing or is it something else?

Solution
It is a stability problem, if the RAM was shot it would not post more than likely. It is a 15 year old Motherboard and there is probably a reason the family member moved it to you. It is DDR1 RAM with 6gb bandwith @ 333-400 mhz..... damn slow, VRM's, capacitators, tracing etc are probably not working like they used to due to age and general degregation of components. The board is most likely unstable in its power supply/regulation. I would get a Raspberry Pi which would be way faster anyway.
D

Deleted member 1272431

1. Test ALL your RAM sticks, one by one, in the same slot. Are they all working? One might be faulty.
  2. Are all RAM sticks same model, GB and speed?

It is a stability problem, if the RAM was shot it would not post more than likely. It is a 15 year old Motherboard and there is probably a reason the family member moved it to you. It is DDR1 RAM with 6gb bandwith @ 333-400 mhz..... damn slow, VRM's, capacitators, tracing etc are probably not working like they used to due to age and general degregation of components. The board is most likely unstable in its power supply/regulation. I would get a Raspberry Pi which would be way faster anyway.

Solution