[SOLVED] Bios not showing after CMOS reset

Jul 8, 2020
Was messing around with light OC on my CPU and it crashed so I reset the CMOS by removing the battery the first time it worked fine but the next time it crashed and I did the same thing I either get a black screen or the bios will pop up blank. Also my pc will start up like it’s running the stop then start again by itself. I have tried to also short the cmos with a paperclip for 5 seconds as I don’t have a jumper. Thanks

Please someone help

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I mean, you HOPE so anyhow. Fact is, this is why we ALWAYS recommend using a high quality power supply that is in GOOD condition, anytime somebody installs an expensive graphics card.

Garbage in, garbage out. If you use a piece of crap with your 400 dollar graphics card, knowing that poor quality power supplies might be a problem, it's kind of like the scorpion and the frog. When you get stung on the other side of the river, you knew it was a scorpion before you agreed to take it for a ride. Kind of the same.

In fairness, I realize that not everybody is ENTIRELY aware of the importance of the power supply. It is, singly, the most important component in ANY system. If the power supply doesn't work right, then NOTHING works right. And...
BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Jul 8, 2020
I am not getting a POST screen, instead I’m getting a blank bios screen and my pc will boot loop sometimes so that screen will only show for a few seconds?

Jul 8, 2020
I want to add to this I got into bios and loaded and saved the optimized defaults which then took me into a path of loading windows and saying it crashed and diagnosing my pc. This is where I am at currently and I’m unsure what to do

There shouldn't BE any need to "configure" the boot settings if you do the hard reset. If you do a hard reset and cannot get into the BIOS, then something else is wrong.

Motherboard is cooked. Memory isn't installed correctly or is loose. Graphics card is not installed correctly. PCI power not reconnected to graphics card, on models that require it.

What are your FULL hardware specifications?

Jul 8, 2020
Okay well I got Into bios saved exit all that and a screen came up saying it was going to check my computer, I didn’t think I needed to do it so I skipped it and went into launching windows which is when I got stuck In that loop. Now I tried to hard reset again and I’m stuck with the blank bios screen.
CPU- i7 3770k
Gpu - RTX 2060
Psu - 750 watt kingwin
Ram - 8x2 Corsair xms3
HDD- WD Blue 1 TB

Ok, so I have no idea where you are with this.

As of RIGHT NOW, you CAN, or CAN NOT, get into the BIOS? Are you not getting anything, AT ALL, on the screen after you power on, or does it only freeze and go blank screen after the POST process when it tried to boot into Windows?

Might not be the motherboard. Might be a power supply problem. Could go either way really.

Considering you have a really crappy Kinguin power supply, that is likely also many years old. I'd probably start with that. If the overclocking put the PSU over the edge, then the motherboard is going to detect that and shut down every time it does.

Jul 8, 2020
Great point. About to try out another PSU. So say either way it’s the PSU or motherboard. Would my gpu still be okay? I got it 3 days ago and is the only part I am looking to put into a new build RTX 2060

I mean, you HOPE so anyhow. Fact is, this is why we ALWAYS recommend using a high quality power supply that is in GOOD condition, anytime somebody installs an expensive graphics card.

Garbage in, garbage out. If you use a piece of crap with your 400 dollar graphics card, knowing that poor quality power supplies might be a problem, it's kind of like the scorpion and the frog. When you get stung on the other side of the river, you knew it was a scorpion before you agreed to take it for a ride. Kind of the same.

In fairness, I realize that not everybody is ENTIRELY aware of the importance of the power supply. It is, singly, the most important component in ANY system. If the power supply doesn't work right, then NOTHING works right. And it can mimic a failure of any component in the system, as well as cause damage to any component in the system. So, priority number one, for EVERY system, no matter what kind of hardware is being used, SHOULD be a high quality power supply. If a high end graphics card is being used, there should be an even higher level of importance placed on making sure the power supply is a reliable, high quality unit.

Reading these, all of them, would probably be a very good idea. If it's all stuff you already know, that's ok, because a refresher never hurt anybody. If it's stuff you DIDN'T know, then it was essential that you read it, so that next time you WILL know.

Solution
Jul 8, 2020
Thanks for the reply, yea I built this pc back in 2014 and was short in money. This next build I have is a Corsair 750 watt my buddy gave me that has probably been used for a year or so, so it’s a pretty good one I’m sure. Thanks for the article

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Remove the CMOS then try booting the computer, wait 10 seconds, then power down. Reinstall the CMOS chip then try booting again. Make sure your memory sticks are installed in banks one and three. Also, try with one stick at a time to see if helps.

If you're going to post, at least do everybody the favor of FIRST READING the thread so you don't suggest things that have already been done or suggested, AND, make sure you know what you are talking about because when you say things like "make sure your memory sticks are installed in banks one and three" it becomes very obvious that you do not know what you are talking about since those are NOT the correct DIMM slots for dual channel motherboard population when using two DIMMs.

I would suggest that you need to lurk for a while, until you understand at least the basics of what is going on, and then maybe do a little reading as well. For now, it just looks bad.