Question Bios not showing m.2 after installing Windows 10 on m.2

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Hi I thought it was odd that my bios didn't recognize my m.2 pcie 4.0 on the aorus Xtreme x570. And after I booted up into from the USB windows drive and installed windows 10, the bios still doesn't give the option to select the m.2 that I installed windows on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I thought it was odd that my bios didn't recognize my m.2 pcie 4.0 on the aorus Xtreme x570. And after I booted up into from the USB windows drive and installed windows 10, the bios still doesn't give the option to select the m.2 that I installed windows on.
Bios should show it as "UEFI Windows BOOT on..." if you actually did install windows on it. Needless to say that Windows should be installed in UEFI mode, not CSM or legacy mode. Did you have some other disks while installing windows ?

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
No other harddrives are installed the only boot options are the thumb drive with windows install on it or the gigabyte motherboard. The only way windows even installed was because I had the thumb drive in and windows detected the m.2 but my bios doesn't? So now when I turn on the computer it just continues to show the aorus logo cycling and thinking and the bios still doesn't show the m.2

dphotog

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Solution might have been found not sure yet won't know till much later but I forgot to disclose that I'm missing one eight pin of the two for the cpu.

So according to my friend he believes thats why my Mobo isn't dectecting the m.2 even though windows did. And was worried that it was drawing power from my ram. So I'm getting a new PSU over my old 6 year old one.

Would love to hear your thoughts on if that's perhaps why my Mobo isn't dectecting the m.2 even though I managed to install Windows and everything.

Jul 13, 2019
only guesses

pins have some redundancy, usually not a big deal with only 1 or 2 lost

tapping F12 at bootup should show a better boot menu with actual partitions

some reports i've seen, m.2 finally gets detected after a full power down/unplug PSU/bios reset

maybe during W10 install, page where it asks you to select a drive to install and setup windows os on.
Look over to the top left at the bottom of the window where it says add driver