[SOLVED] Bios OC settings not saving to desktop

Dec 11, 2018
I've recently been looking at overclocking my cpu (for the first time) since I've been concerned that my i7 6800k may be bottlenecking my 2080ti ( I play at 3440x1440 resolution) Wether that is true or not I hope you could let me know.

Anyway, I've followed some overclocking guides linked here but the issue is when I get to desktop none of configurations seem to save, I load up hwinfo64 and still says the clock speed is at 3.6ghz (I set it to 3.9) Although strangely the only number that seems to change is core #5 as seen here
syPQNQy

https://imgur.com/syPQNQy

I have checked all power options and they're all 100% and on performance mode, there are no turbo boosters in the bios ( that I can see ) I don't really know what else to do. Asus 5 way optimization is always greyed out too.

Solution
So if i understand what you're asking, settings are not being seen in the OS by your monitoring utilities. Download HWiNFO and see what it shows for whatever values you changed.

it could just be a corrupted BIOS - have you updated your BIOS recently, and if so, what method? Using a USB stick formatted FAT32 is the safest way to flash an update

IF you're on the latest BIOS release, you might try reflashing it

i just went thru a Z390 Motherboard that initially it would take 2 or 3 attempts to get the BIOS to accept a setting change, then it stopped altogether. Then the BIOS just corrupted totally and wouldn't get me past POST . Bios chips do go bad

in case that's where it's headed, you might want to, as a precaution, backup any...
Dec 11, 2018

i7 6800k @ 3.4ghz
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) @ 3k mhz
Asus Sabertooth x99
Asus 2080ti
evga supernova p2 atx 850w
Windows 10 ultimate

It's not that the bios isn't saving the settings it's that when I load up my desktop none of the software I use like cpu-z or hwinfo64 shows any settings I've made.

I.E I set cpu to 3.9ghz in bios but when on desktop it's still only at default settings.

So if i understand what you're asking, settings are not being seen in the OS by your monitoring utilities. Download HWiNFO and see what it shows for whatever values you changed.

it could just be a corrupted BIOS - have you updated your BIOS recently, and if so, what method? Using a USB stick formatted FAT32 is the safest way to flash an update

IF you're on the latest BIOS release, you might try reflashing it

i just went thru a Z390 Motherboard that initially it would take 2 or 3 attempts to get the BIOS to accept a setting change, then it stopped altogether. Then the BIOS just corrupted totally and wouldn't get me past POST . Bios chips do go bad

in case that's where it's headed, you might want to, as a precaution, backup any important data

if it ends up reflashing your BIOS doesn't cure it, you might want to consider trying replacing your BIOS chip - they're easy to replace, simply unplug the one on your board and plug the replacement in. I replaced the one on my Asus Z97 mobo as the BIOS would seem to corrupt every 6-12 months, nothing major but it would change a setting or two. So far the replacement has been fine. Ebay isn't my first choice "go to" source for electronics, but in this case, there's no place else i could find

it looks like the forum won't let us post links to ebay (just tried), but if you go to ebay and search for "Asus Sabertooth X99 BIOS chip" - it'll pull up a number of sellers

Solution
Dec 11, 2018
I did try attach an image and an imgur link to show my hwinfo, it seems the only value that changes is core #5 which is just bizzare but then again I have no idea when it comes to overclocking.

I have updated the bios through flash as you have to since the motherboard did not support the cpu without it,

I think I may leave it for now, I've had so many motherboard problems in the past year that I don't dare mess with my luck anymore especially if it wont even add any extra frames to my games.

Thank you for your input though.

asus has a couple of software solutions for flashing BIOS, one is in AI Suite III, iirc, the other allows your board to go on the internet to download directly - i would not suggest either of those methods, but rather putting the file on a usb stick that's been formatted FAT32, and then putting that in a USB 2.0 port and booting up - it shouild be in your manual