BIOS POST error after upgrading to 8.1

jdkilmartin

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hello - I’m wondering if anyone can give me a hand with this.

I have an HP ENVY 700-074 desktop. Up until recently I had been running Window 8 with no problems.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 I began receiving a BIOS POST error, specifying keyboard failure. Despite the error the keyboard works fine both in BIOS and Windows. I have experienced no other issues other than this keyboard failure message.

Prior to upgrading to 8.1 I checked compatibility and installed all HP recommended updates and windows updates.

My question for the experts here is this; has upgrading to 8.1 CAUSED the POST error to appear OR has upgrading to 8.1 REVEALED an underlying hardware issue that was hidden in 8.0?

I have spoke to HP and they have no idea what the issue is and want me to send it in for service. Since they have no idea what the problem is I have little confidence that I will have my computer returned with the problem fixed. When I spoke to HP they said specifically that my system had not been tested for compatibility with 8.1, but also that no other users had reported problems upgrading.

I’m also thinking that maybe I shouldn’t bother sending it in. Should I even worry about a BIOS POST error which doesn’t otherwise effect the operation of the computer? My main concern is the possibility of a faulty hardware component.

Things I have already tried:
Uninstalled 8.1. Error appears after reinstallation 8.1
Complete restore to factory settings. Error re-appears after reinstallation of 8.1
Deleted and re-installed keyboard drivers. No effect on the error in 8.1
Reset BIOS/ Cleared CMOS.
Turned Secure Boot on and Off
Reseated RAM and checked all power supply connections