[SOLVED] BIOS question with the ASRock B450M/ac mobo

May 8, 2022
Hey there,

I’ve heard about some issues with putting a Ryzen 5000 series CPU in a B450 or B550 mobo. I heard the BIOS won’t support those motherboards sometimes, and you have to update the BIOS with an older CPU. I’m going to get a 5700G and an ASRock B450M/ac mobo, and I’m curious as to if the mobo will ship with a BIOS version that supports the 5000 series or if I’ll have to update it myself, and if I do, how would I go about that?

Thanks in advance,
Orion

Solution
For some motherboards you're able to do a flash without needing a CPU even installed. However, a cursory look at the features of your motherboard seems to indicate your motherboard doesn't have this feature. You'll have to use an older Zen 1/2 CPU to flash as you alluded to in your original post. The other thing you can do is to take your motherboard to a local computer shop and have them flash the motherboard for you for a fee.
There is very little you can do to figure out if the motherboard will ship with an updated enough BIOS to support the Zen 3 CPUs out of the box. Chances are probably better now since Zen 3 has been out in the wild for long enough, but it's not a 100% guarantee.

And to update the BIOS yourself, just follow the manual procedure. Most of the time though, all you have to do is download the BIOS from Asrock, place the main file on the root folder of a USB drive, and install the BIOS using the built-in program in the existing BIOS.

May 8, 2022
There is very little you can do to figure out if the motherboard will ship with an updated enough BIOS to support the Zen 3 CPUs out of the box. Chances are probably better now since Zen 3 has been out in the wild for long enough, but it's not a 100% guarantee.

And to update the BIOS yourself, just follow the manual procedure. Most of the time though, all you have to do is download the BIOS from Asrock, place the main file on the root folder of a USB drive, and install the BIOS using the built-in program in the existing BIOS.

How do you boot the BIOS from the drive without a CPU installed?

For some motherboards you're able to do a flash without needing a CPU even installed. However, a cursory look at the features of your motherboard seems to indicate your motherboard doesn't have this feature. You'll have to use an older Zen 1/2 CPU to flash as you alluded to in your original post. The other thing you can do is to take your motherboard to a local computer shop and have them flash the motherboard for you for a fee.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
May 8, 2022

Do the ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac or Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI have the BIOS flashback function?

TRENDING THREADS