[SOLVED] BIOS RAID 0 Showing up incorrectly in windows? (SOLVED)

Aug 6, 2021
Hey all,
Ive been trying to set up a raid 0 with a pair of intel 660 p series drives. Im struggling to get the partition recognized correctly within the operating system. This is NOT an OS raid, it is just a raid I want to use for high speed storage. At this point the bios raid has been setup correctly, as far as I know-- Im using a trx40 auros extreme mb, and its accompanying raid adapter: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 AIC Adaptor. I got some amazing help from the folks over at BuildorBuy.
These two videos have been a god send for this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-KBgEXrWLA&ab_channel=BuildOrBuy

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uns5xoKYTjk&ab_channel=BuildOrBuy

I think I am tripping at the finish line. I am now in the OS, post setting up the BIOS Raid 0 successfully, and the two drives are showing up separate drives. Why is this? Is there a second software step I need to go through to generate a raid? Inthe BuildorBuy videos, he was using the AMD drivers at the windows install stage to assist with the recognition of the raid, I tried to install the AMD drivers myself, to see if it would help me with my task, but I obviously dont have any way of pointing those NVMe_CC, NVMe_DID, and RAID_SATA folders at a drive I am not initializing the way he was......
So I download the AMD raid installer as well, which is an executable file, and I just ran it. Unfortunately, the executable threw up an error and said it could find no drives to RAID.....
Im stumped..and a bit to ignorant about this process unfortunately......

Any tips? All the videos online seem to be for storage pools and stuff like that, but Ive heard that this NOT the right way to set up a high speed raid.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Solution
I would probably say the bios stuff was not needed, more so if you were using the sata ports it would work. Being that its an add on card the card the software should take care of the raid on the card.

This is like using a LSI card, you dont setup raid in the BIOS you log into the card and setup raid there.
Aug 6, 2021
First off, why?
RAID 0 + 2x NVMe drives won't see a user facing benefit.

Benchmarks, sure. Actual performance, not so much.
Very true. Its just a capacity thing. Its my working drive for VFX projects. Id like to have 4 tbs for storage rather than 2 split drives. Im not actually looking for a performance boost, I just dont want to get a performance loss by using windows storage pooling.

Aug 6, 2021
Very true. Its just a capacity thing. Its my working drive for VFX projects. Id like to have 4 tbs for storage rather than 2 split drives. Im not actually looking for a performance boost, I just dont want to get a performance loss by using windows storage pooling.
I had originally planned for an 8 tb raid, but it wouldve needed to use a pcie x16 slot for this, and didnt want to use that premium of a slot for storage. So ya, its not 8 like I would have hoped, but 4 is still better than 2, especially for houdini simulations.....

Aug 6, 2021
Still the same capacity.
The RAID 0 just introduces more complexity and fail potential.

Windows and applications have gotten really good at managing multiple drives.
So just for perspective. At work we have 8 tb raid 1 storage.
Still the same capacity.
The RAID 0 just introduces more complexity and fail potential.

Windows and applications have gotten really good at managing multiple drives.
Not trying to be quarrelsome here, so ill just give some perspective. This is a workstation pc, its modeled after what we use at work for what we do professionally. Our 'flames' at work have raid storage that ranges from 6-25 tbs. Im trying to create something similar on a smaller level.
On a typical job we run with 2k to 4k footage for live action, in conjunction with 16 bit exr cg sequences with multiple versions. A job can easily run over 2 tbs --4 tbs too, but for my own purposes Im hoping 4 tbs is enough.
I just fear 2 tbs isnt gonna cut it, and I run the risk of having to go through mental gymnastics every time I do a job that goes over a certain size of having to move stuff between drives, which could be quite frustrating. Id like to just have everything in one place with a single drive letter. Im not actually that concerned about catastrophic drive failure, I will have a backup system in place with some large HDD drives running on a daily basis.

Seeing as thats the situation, your implying there is a simple software based solution within windows? Is this storage pooling perhaps, or something else?

USAFRet

Titan
This is why context upfront is helpful.

If you routinely have files or projects that exceed 2TB, that is a whole different thing than just wanting a 2x2TB RAID 0.

In this instance, with these drives...the RAID 0 might be warranted. One of the very few such cases.

Aug 6, 2021
This is why context upfront is helpful.

If you routinely have files or projects that exceed 2TB, that is a whole different thing than just wanting a 2x2TB RAID 0.

In this instance, with these drives...the RAID 0 might be warranted. One of the very few such cases.
Gotcha, sorry this is my first post. Ill be more specific next time!!

Aug 6, 2021
Have you tried using the Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 AIC Adaptor software? On the webpage is says easy software raid with one click.
I guess I could try? I just dont understand why I need to set up a software raid after I created a raid 0 in bios? Isnt that hardware software redundancy? I guess more succinctly. If I set up software raid, do I need to do all the stuff I did in the bios to begin with? And I have also heard the software raid is slower.....

I would probably say the bios stuff was not needed, more so if you were using the sata ports it would work. Being that its an add on card the card the software should take care of the raid on the card.

This is like using a LSI card, you dont setup raid in the BIOS you log into the card and setup raid there.

Solution
Aug 6, 2021

Ah! I see. Ya im actually watching another video by build or buy where he uses a self bifurcating add on card to install 4 nvme drives in software raid in a PCIE x8 slot. Im willing to bet, just like your saying, there is no need to go through all these hoops in the bios. Ill post again once Ive sorted through this. Thanks for the tip!

Aug 6, 2021
Hey all,

Went through a lot of unncessary hoops here. The Adaptor Software worked perfectly (thank you @faalin ), I just needed to bifurcate the PCIE 8 slot to 4x4 in the bios and I was good to go almost instantly. None of the other bio related changes were necessary so I just reverted them.
Hope this exercise was helpful to someone......

Reactions: USAFRet