Question BIOS, RAM, GPU RAM & ROM keyloggers? / Flashing everything

Jan 2, 2020
If you want, skip to main Question ***below.

I've had some trouble with a Lenovo Yoga 15ikb 2 in 1 Laptop I purchase several years ago, that continually becomes hijacked and has been made useless. The machine would basically become inaccessible, as though the password had been changed.

At one point, I completely removed the Network card that controlled the WiFi, LAN and Bluetooth. I also checked to make sure there was no Wireless Data Network Card that I was unaware of installed.

When the Network card had been removed, I installed everything from usb keys with installation files I downloaded at another computer (the library). everything would work fine for a few days, and then the password, fingerprint logon and PIN would stop working (Windows 10 home) and I'd have to wipe the OS and reinstall everything by booting to a USB Windows 10 installation file (not the factory reset option).

I also made an SDHC password reset key, and a few times that worked to reset a password and let me back in, but after a few times regaining access that way, the SD card reader stopped recognizing anything, as if the driver had been removed, or the device disabled through Device Manager.

It seemed as if someone was gaining access to my apartment, and gathering passwords every week or so by booting to USB and retrieving data from a keylogger, then logging in and changing passwords, etc., resetting the passwords and fingerprint scanner.

Later, I tried setting a hard disk password to see if that might prevent access. That password too became unusable, and now I have to replace a $150 system board to regain access because there is no CMOS battery in this newer laptop.

Have since spoken to an IT guy who said there are ways to install keyloggers and other spyware at the BIOS, GPU RAM, some other ROM and possibly even in the RAM, although I may have some of these confused. Basically, he said there was the possibility of a keylogger residing below the OS level which would explain what may have been going on with my Lenovo Yoga.

*** My Question:

Are there methods to flash EVERY piece of hardware that has dedicated memory?

Are there Antivirus tools that can root out spyware on BIOS and hardware level?

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Thanks for any answers!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Question:

Has the current Lenovo laptop's CMOS battery ever been replaced? I am a bit confused about that aspect of your post.

" now I have to replace a $150 system board to regain access because there is no CMOS battery in this newer laptop."

What "newer laptop"? Specs & OS?

What AV/malware software are you using?

What network/Internet connections do you use? Wired, wireless? Secured?

For the most part as older hardware and its' installed software becomes obsolete, unsupported, and in general terms just overall ends up exhibiting all sorts of bizarre behavior.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-cmos-2625826