Bios refuses to update

Mar 16, 2018
So my MSI 970 GAMING mobo has the oldest version of it's bios (M.0) So I decided to update it. But no matter what I do, (different USB drives, file formats, bios versions, resetting the bios) It just freezes up every time I try to update it. Any ideas?

Solution
Unless your experiencing a issue that a BIOS update can fix I wouldn't bother updating it as there is that rare chance of bricking your motherboard. And considering the board is older it would be difficult to find another.

But... if your intending on doing so have you tried MSI Live Update program? It should work for the BIOS.
this is my bios information I hope this helps and would suggest to only update 1 version at a time maybe
BIOS
to access the bios hammer the delete key before system boots up as soon powered on
have a fresh formatted FAT32 USB stick download the bios from motherboard manufacturer only stick the bios you just downloaded on the USB stick recommend at least 2 bios's re-boot press the delete button repeatedly to get into your bios select system then update bios select usb device flash it leave it to do its thing then you should be good with your new bios
if done wrong will brick your motherboard

Mar 16, 2018

I've tried both NTFS and FAT32, tried the bios version right after mine, and some newer ones. still just freezes.

WildCard999

Titan
Unless your experiencing a issue that a BIOS update can fix I wouldn't bother updating it as there is that rare chance of bricking your motherboard. And considering the board is older it would be difficult to find another.

But... if your intending on doing so have you tried MSI Live Update program? It should work for the BIOS.

Solution
Mar 16, 2018

I installed live update, but apparently this motherboard isn't supported, because I can't update the bios with it either. And the reason I wanted to update it was because the newer versions claim to improve system stability. But, this motherboard obviously doesn't want to update, so I guess I won't.

TRENDING THREADS