Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

My PC has been working fine for months since i got it, but when i restarted it yesterday the bios was suddenly (partially) reset. Time and date was OK but custom RAM settings where changed.

I set the bios to my preferences again and tried to replicate the problem -> first reboot, all OK -> power switch/cord off, bios reset. The PC starts but doesnt initiate the monitor (no output) and after a minute or so boots regularly but with old bios settings, when i then manually go into BIOS it said it was reset.

Ofcourse the first thing i tried was to replace the CMOS battery (twice) and check the jumper (also OK) but no difference, then i decided to update the bios from F42g to F50.

Now when i cold reboot it also resets the time and other custom settings (yet not the date and also not my boot preferences). Other than that, when everything has been set as before and i run a performance test the PC performs as good as it did several months ago, so no performance issues.

Ofcourse its workable but rather annoying and simply put... something is not right. Nothing changed in the period before this issue came up and since i got the PC i never even opened the case. (A windows update was done, but could anyone explane how this could effect the MOBO?)

Other than that, in the beginning i did have some RAM instability issues because it was set to 3200 (MEMtest showed me a big red list) but this was fixed after setting it to 2933.
Also had issues with a strange OC of the CPU, somehow it overrided installed software but after a reinstall of windows this was fixed aswell.
Last thing... I cant remember i ever saw the Aorus eagle on boot on this PC ever, but now i do (perhaps its just between my ears though)

PC specs:
Aorus X470 Ultra Gaming
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Corsair 16gb 3200hz vengeance DDR4 (set to 2933 because of limit 2700X)
MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Super
Corsair RM750X
SSD 500gb 970 EVO M2
Seagate 2TB
Scythe Mugen 5

I set the bios to my preferences again and tried to replicate the problem -> first reboot, all OK -> power switch/cord off, bios reset. The PC starts but doesnt initiate the monitor (no output) and after a minute or so boots regularly but with old bios settings, when i then manually go into BIOS it said it was reset.

If you were resetting the BIOS after the changes, this is a normal behavior.

Set the Ram to 2133MHz to check

Did you reset the BIOS by jumper yet? Taking out the battery is not always resetting the BIOS for sure. The battery is installed with the plus symbol visible on top?

The CMOS jumper has to be not connected. Did you mean this by "ok"?

Did you overclock the CPU?

Check the ssd and hdd by its manufacturer´s tool

Mar 19, 2020
Sorry i think i may have been unclear

The Bios reset is unwanted and only happens after completely cutting the power from the device (remove power cord or flipping power switch on PSU). I have never purposly reset the BIOS, only replicated the problem by completely powering down the PC/ removing power cord.

This made me belief the problem was a dead CMOS battery so i replaced but no difference, then i replaced it again just to be sure but still the BIOS reset after complete power cutoff.

Q: What would setting the RAM to 2133hz do?

Yes + side is up, just as it was before.

By OK i mean the jumper is not connected.

I never OC'd the CPU (except for the issue i mentioned i had in the beginning, but that was 2 to 3 months ago and since i didnt have any problems untill now.

I will check the SSD and HDD tonight, although i checked these aswell several months ago and they were OK (but yes ill do it again)

Last edited:
Q: What would setting the RAM to 2133hz do?
to sort out incompatibility issues or memory failure which eventually are not detected by memtest, reset the BIOS by jumper and set the RAM to 2133MHz

The new battery is a CR-2032 with 3Volt as well? Some batteries have the same or equal size and only provide 1.5Volt

edit:
Are any LEDs, RGB lightning connected to the motherboard?

use Qflash in BIOS to reflash the BIOS with the F50 version again

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020
The new battery is indeed 2032 3V

Yes, besides the RGB of the MOBO there are 3 fans + sticks of RAM equipped with RGB (Booting after power cut results in a reset of RGB color for the fans but not the sticks/mobo)

I'll reset the bios jumper, then RAM should go to 2133mhz automaticly as it did everytime it was unwantedly reset) and then i'll reflash the BIOS to F50 again (the issues were already there at F42g thouh).

Any explanation for why the BIOS data is partially remembered? (first time and date were remembered and after flashing to F50 only date. The very first time this happened the boot preferences were forgotten aswell but now they are remembered after a reset. RAM speed is reset to 2133 every time though)

EDIT:
When rebooting PC after complete power cutoff all the RGB lights up in the right color for the first 30s, then the fans (only the fans) switch back to stock color. 10s after that my monitor receives input and PC boots with a reset BIOS. But going into bios has to be done manually, it doesnt force me into BIOS in any way.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020
to sort out incompatibility issues or memory failure which eventually are not detected by memtest, reset the BIOS by jumper and set the RAM to 2133MHz

The new battery is a CR-2032 with 3Volt as well? Some batteries have the same or equal size and only provide 1.5Volt

edit:
Are any LEDs, RGB lightning connected to the motherboard?

use Qflash in BIOS to reflash the BIOS with the F50 version again

Manually reset the BIOS, no difference.
Reflashed BIOS, no difference
Ran test on SSD and HDD, 100% healthy
Also ran memtest to be sure, no errors for 3 runs

anyone any ideas? Or just a cooked mobo

Mar 19, 2020
does the message reset BIOS come up while you didn´t alter the BIOS settings as well?

I'm not sure what you mean but ill try to answer...

The "Bios was reset" message onlly appears when i access the bios for the first time after i boot my PC when it has been without power.

So...
  • Disconnect power
  • Boot PC
  • Manually acces BIOS (it is NOT a popup, the message only shows when i manually enter BIOS during boot, but i can tell it reset the BIOS due to the boot-lag and reset of RGB fans)
  • If i reboot the PC several times after a cold boot the message still shows when entering BIOS (rebooted 4 times)
  • If i dont alter the BIOS data to what i want and i go through the steps above again the BIOS resets anyway

Do you use any tool in windows for altering settings for RGB or similar?

So after a warm restart the altered settings are still there in BIOS?

How many RGB fans are installed? Disconnect RGB or similar devices

Other than that your motherboard might be faulty or there is a problem with the RAM

Mar 19, 2020
Do you use any tool in windows for altering settings for RGB or similar?

So after a warm restart the altered settings are still there in BIOS?

How many RGB fans are installed? Disconnect RGB or similar devices

Other than that your motherboard might be faulty or there is a problem with the RAM

I do so once, i install the MOBO software nessecary for the RGB settings, set them and then uninstall. I dont need it again unless the BIOS resets. I tried keeping it installed, didnt make a difference.

Yes after a warm start its all good, nothing reset and no message when going into the BIOS.

Three and the 2 sticks of RAM, how would the RGB be a issue? (especially all of the sudden)

And how would the RAM be involved as the possible culprit (not undermining you but just want to understand and some day perhaps (hopefully it wont be nessecary) but share this knowledge with others.

Thx for the help so far!

If the RGB fans need more power than the RGB/Fan header is specified for, there could be a problem.

RAM and AMD Ryzen, mostly 1st and 2nd gen but also 3rd gen sometimes, can work or can have unpredictable issues with each other.

Maybe the flash memory (Cmos) is faulty and can´t hold it´s information while on battery.

Is the power supply connected to the motherboard and the devices with its original cables or other custom cables?

You will have to localize the problem by replacing components. But the first I would consider is PSU or motherboard.

May 18, 2020
I'm having the same issues since a failed bios update...I suspected that the main one was faulty and I haven't managed to find a tool to fix it
I'll give it a try, thank you!

Oct 26, 2020
I fixed it!

Turns out the main bios was corrupt (the long boot was due to repetitive booting and eventually booting on backup).

For other people with the same issue follow this link and on page 3 you find the fix.

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/4876/x470-gaming-ultra-lights-cycling?page=3

The trick was to run dualbiosrecovery and now all is good :)

Using Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra, and was experiencing bios reset after cold boot every time. The dualbiosrecovery fixed it for me, thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.