[SOLVED] BIOS reset - old motherboard?

Feb 27, 2020
Hi!

I have just build a new PC, first time in my life! (puh :D). I have bought a new x570 Elite.

When I first start my PC I got the message "Clear Cmos Information": Bios has been reset. Please re-config your BIOS setup items if needed.

Did I get an old mainboard?
Is this normal?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
So, I think if I'm understanding correctly, you keep seeing the message that "BIOS has been reset"

If you keep seeing that message, you may need to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard, which is the little watch-style battery (usually type CR2032) located on the motherboard. This battery makes sure that your BIOS settings are saved when the computer is turned off. If the battery is dead, then the PC will have a "cleared CMOS" state every time that you restart it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps :)

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

Welcome to the forums! To answer your question, no, I think everything is fine. the CMOS is what stores your saved BIOS information such as overclocking, general settings, etc. Typically you'd clear it if you were having some sort of problem with a setting you'd configured.

From the factory it was probably cleared because it would have to run and detect your components the first time you started your PC. Let me know if you have any more questions. Hope this helps! :)

Feb 27, 2020
Thanks for your kind and fast replay SparkyTech934! I appretiate it. It calms me down. Everything is so new for me :D

But now, I have got this message twice after updating my bios to the latest Version (F11).
-> Is something wrong with the mainboard?

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
So, I think if I'm understanding correctly, you keep seeing the message that "BIOS has been reset"

If you keep seeing that message, you may need to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard, which is the little watch-style battery (usually type CR2032) located on the motherboard. This battery makes sure that your BIOS settings are saved when the computer is turned off. If the battery is dead, then the PC will have a "cleared CMOS" state every time that you restart it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps :)

Solution