Question BIOS reset when active XMP or increase the frequency

Jan 20, 2020
Hello, now in January I bought a new PC, but I have a problem, when raising the frequency or activating XMP, a few days later the BIOS is reset.
I did stress tests with AIDA and I had no problem. My memory is Samsung B-die.

I configured the timings manually and I also had the same problem. I used 1.35V and used the same timings as XMP 16-18-18-38.

The BIOS is updated to the latest version (2.90). I put the memories in slots A2-B2.

My setup:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X | Asrock B450M Steel Legend | Adata XPG Spectrix D41 TUF 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz | MSI GTX 1050 AERO ITX | Corsair CX-430W | DeepCool Gammaxx GTE

Anota-o-2020-01-20-092959.png

I do not know what else to do.

Jan 20, 2020
@RememberThe5th @keith12
Although the motherboard is new, I know this does not prevent the battery from being bad.

I will change the battery and test again.

Yesterday when I went to turn off the PC, it took about 2 minutes to turn it off, and when I went to turn it on again about 2 hours later the BIOS had been reset.

Do you think the battery can cause this?

If you switch the PSU off, then yes (The battery is bad), but when the PSU is ON but PC OFF, the PSU should be on stand by and motherboard should have lights (If it has any, or usually your keyboard has numpad light on or mouse or you can charge your phone).

Which label is on PSU? (Grey, green, orange?)

Which storage do you use? M.2, HDD, SSD
Because its weird in my way that it takes 2 minutes to turn off.

zx128k

Reputable
@RememberThe5th @keith12
Although the motherboard is new, I know this does not prevent the battery from being bad.

Yesterday when I went to turn off the PC, it took about 2 minutes to turn it off, and when I went to turn it on again about 2 hours later the BIOS had been reset.

Sounds like an issue with CMOS. Does the issue only happen when you change the RAM settings (changing other settings does not cause any issues)? Or did you only notice when the setting for the RAM would not take and the bios stays at default? Did you update the BIOS and the issue happened afterwards or was the bios already the latest version?

If your PC is new I would contact whatever support the shop you bought it from can provide. You don't want to have a long RMA period.

Reactions: RememberThe5th
Jan 20, 2020
If you switch the PSU off, then yes (The battery is bad), but when the PSU is ON but PC OFF, the PSU should be on stand by and motherboard should have lights (If it has any, or usually your keyboard has numpad light on or mouse or you can charge your phone).

Which label is on PSU? (Grey, green, orange?)

Which storage do you use? M.2, HDD, SSD
Because its weird in my way that it takes 2 minutes to turn off.

Green and white.

Whats-App-Image-2020-01-19-at-16-22-43-1.jpg

The OS is installed on the SSD and I have an HDD for backup.
Normally turns off pretty fast, but yesterday before the BIOS reset, it took a long time to shut down. When I turned on the PC again it had already been reset.
And yesterday I didn't switch the PSU off, I just turned off the PC.

Jan 20, 2020
Sounds like an issue with CMOS. Does the issue only happen when you change the RAM settings (changing other settings does not cause any issues)? Or did you only notice when the setting for the RAM would not take and the bios stays at default? Did you update the BIOS and the issue happened afterwards or was the bios already the latest version?

If your PC is new I would contact whatever support the shop you bought it from can provide. You don't want to have a long RMA period.

I tested it for 2 days without changing the RAM settings and the problem didn't happen.
Maybe it was a short time. Because I had increased the frequency to 3000mhz and the bios reset 4 days later. = /

I received the motherboard with the BIOS in version 2.60, I did not test the XMP, I soon updated the BIOS to the latest version, 2.90.

Soo basically when you turn off the PC , you have lights? Because if yes the Stand by voltage is working, if no it is not working (Cause the PSU should provide voltage and keep the battery charged, yes they are rechargeable).
Also that CX 430 might not be "good" idea to use with your current setup. Its old.

@RememberThe5th @keith12

Yes, certainly it can cause it.

But, reading your post back, am I right in that YOU updated the bios? If you have recently done a Bios update, and not done a CMOS clear afterwards, this could cause the same issue.

I'd start first with a CMOS clear (mobo manufacturer manual will tell you how) then if that doesn't work replacing the battery. I would not RMA the board necessarily, just to replace a battery.

Jan 20, 2020
Soo basically when you turn off the PC , you have lights? Because if yes the Stand by voltage is working, if no it is not working (Cause the PSU should provide voltage and keep the battery charged, yes they are rechargeable).
Also that CX 430 might not be "good" idea to use with your current setup. Its old.

Yes, the headset LED remains on.

I agree that the PSU is old, but is that the problem? I was using it in another setup and had no problems

Jan 20, 2020
Yes, certainly it can cause it.

But, reading your post back, am I right in that YOU updated the bios? If you have recently done a Bios update, and not done a CMOS clear afterwards, this could cause the same issue.

I'd start first with a CMOS clear (mobo manufacturer manual will tell you how) then if that doesn't work replacing the battery. I would not RMA the board necessarily, just to replace a battery.

That, I updated the BIOS to the latest version.
And then I gave a clear CMOS removing the battery and using a jumper. (I did it twice to be sure).

Okay, I'm going to buy a new battery to make sure that's not the problem.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 20, 2020
Hello friends, on Tuesday I changed the battery and activated the XMP for 3000 with 16-18-18.
And last night (two days later) reset again.
Sad = /

Do you think I should leave XMP off for a few days to test?
Or do I increase the voltage to 1.4V?

is it a defect on my motherboard?

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
The Battery should have a charge of around 3.3 volts . a tester will clarify if it would need replacing but since they cost near to nothing can t hurt to change it anyways.

And if it still resets try creating a profile to load again in case, some motherboards permit that.
And honestly you wont notice alot of performance improvements using stock specifications over the xmp profile at least not on DDR4... See if it resets a few days after using jedec approved standarts of timings and speeds.
In some cases board might flag it as failed overclock after failing to boot once , resets to default.

Jan 20, 2020
The Battery should have a charge of around 3.3 volts . a tester will clarify if it would need replacing but since they cost near to nothing can t hurt to change it anyways.

And if it still resets try creating a profile to load again in case, some motherboards permit that.
And honestly you wont notice alot of performance improvements using stock specifications over the xmp profile at least not on DDR4... See if it resets a few days after using jedec approved standarts of timings and speeds.
In some cases board might flag it as failed overclock after failing to boot once , resets to default.
I put new batteries on Tuesday.
And it reset yesterday.

I will test for a few days with XMP disabled.

Reactions: jodo_kast2
Jan 20, 2020
Well just a heads up about your PSU.

View: http://i.imgur.com/LeBoRfr.png

The green letters PSU is from 2012 models. They are bad. Very bad. Not recommended in any systems. They were replaced by 2017 models and they are a lot better now.

But I don't see your PSU being the cause of the BIOS resetting.
Yes, my PSU is old, but the PC starts normally, I can do stress tests and play for hours without problems.
But at some point when I turn on the PC, there is an error that the BIOS resets.
I spent 4 days turning the PC on and off without problems.