BIOS Resets on boot

elias.vuille

Prominent
Jul 20, 2018
Hello !
I went away from home for 3 weeks and when i came back i turned on my pc and saw that the BIOS has been reset.
So i checked the BIOS reset jumpers they were ok, then i changed my CMOS battery for a brand new one. In fact the old one was okay because it managed to keep the system date and hour.
Now each time i reboot my computer, it tells me that the settings has been reset, so this isn't the problem of the battery. I also reflashed my BIOS with the latest version, still the problem persists. It keeps the clock, but not the settings, is the issue due to the BIOS Ram or so ?
Thanks for reading

Solution
It is classic example of dead CMOS battery. You turned power down and CMOS battery, old and weak did not hold 3 weeks. Deep discharge damaged already quite used battery and it stopped charging at all. After error bios did not record any changes so its still detecting old "potentially damaged" settings. "Restore defaults" might do the trick.
https://anjirus.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cmosbattery.jpg
1. find this and replace with new one. (around 2$ )
2. enter bios change anything save and exit. enter again, and rollback change if nessesary, again safe and exit.
3. check if problem still persists.
what motherboard are you using ?

Any possibility you didn't put CMOS jumper back in standard position after a CMOS clear? or have someone else playing a trick on you and has the reset cmos jumper tripped up.

Make sure you buy a 2032 battery and take care when you flip the old one out, you do that with the power off and no remaining flea power. You ensure that by removing the power cable and pressing the power button until the LED goes completely out.

It is classic example of dead CMOS battery. You turned power down and CMOS battery, old and weak did not hold 3 weeks. Deep discharge damaged already quite used battery and it stopped charging at all. After error bios did not record any changes so its still detecting old "potentially damaged" settings. "Restore defaults" might do the trick.
https://anjirus.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cmosbattery.jpg
1. find this and replace with new one. (around 2$ )
2. enter bios change anything save and exit. enter again, and rollback change if nessesary, again safe and exit.
3. check if problem still persists.

Solution

elias.vuille

Prominent
Jul 20, 2018
I took care of removing the sticker and nobody touched the jumper also.
When i replaced the battery, i took all the precautions of removing the remaining current out of my mobo.
I read that the battery is fine when it manages to keep the system date after a reboot.
I think that this is the BIOS software issue i'll try to reseat the battery and do what Rdslw told me to
I'll give you some news about that thanks for the replies guys !

elias.vuille

Prominent
Jul 20, 2018
Ok so this morning i booted up my computer normally, the BIOS Ram kept all the settings !
I think the issue was temporary, i also did and checked everything you guys told me to and it does works now :)
Many Thanks !