[SOLVED] BIOS resets when turning on the computer

Strafez

Prominent
May 22, 2020
Hey everyone,
I have a bit of an issue when booting my computer. Most of the times, my computer will have 3 attempts to boot and post but it usually ends with a fail and thus the BIOS resets and I have to go back and manually enable my fan and XMP settings. After I enable XMP and set my fan settings, it would successfully boot into Windows and can confirm that the speed and latency is as it should be. I've gone ahead and replaced the CMOS battery with another CR2032 and it seemed to work the other day but it failed to boot properly this morning as well. I thought it was an issue with my UPS but the problem still exists even plugging directly into an outlet.

PC Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600X
MOBO - ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4
RAM - G. Skill Ripjaws V 3600Mhz CL16
GPU - MSi 2060 Super Ventus GP OC
PSU - Corsair CX650M Bronze
SSD - Inland 240GB (Boot)
SSD - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (I know this is a weird configuration)
CASE - NZXT H510
BACK UPS - CyberPower 1000 VA 600 watt

This build is less than 2 months old and started around 1 and 1/2 weeks ago.
Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention I am on the latest BIOS version and that the date and time is incorrect on boot
Edit 2: I got it to boot without a reset successfully the next day and will see if the issue still persists after that because it seems to be "random".
Edit 3: BIOS failed to boot and had to reset itself the next day. I changed it back to a saved profile and it successfully loaded those settings though?
Edit 4: BIOS failed to boot and took 4 restarts (power up and down) since it wouldn't load the saved settings the first 3 times. I'll stop editing the post since its basically confirmed to be happening habitually by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuronikuru
Solution
After many days of waiting/testing, I can now say that I no longer have this issue. The BIOS seemed to reset because it failed to train the memory (or at least that's what I think happened). It would have 3 attempts to see if the memory would work and after the 3rd one, it would reset the BIOS settings so it could safely boot. I fixed the issue by manually setting the timings using Ryzen DRAM calculator instead of enabling XMP. I was thinking about sending my motherboard for RMA but I couldn't be bothered so that's when I found out it was a memory problem.
All in all, after manually adjusting the timings for my RAM, it had no problem booting with its speed and timings.

Strafez

Prominent
May 22, 2020
After many days of waiting/testing, I can now say that I no longer have this issue. The BIOS seemed to reset because it failed to train the memory (or at least that's what I think happened). It would have 3 attempts to see if the memory would work and after the 3rd one, it would reset the BIOS settings so it could safely boot. I fixed the issue by manually setting the timings using Ryzen DRAM calculator instead of enabling XMP. I was thinking about sending my motherboard for RMA but I couldn't be bothered so that's when I found out it was a memory problem.
All in all, after manually adjusting the timings for my RAM, it had no problem booting with its speed and timings.

Solution