[SOLVED] Bios resets when video card removed?

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
The last couple time I've fiddled with the fans in my pc I've removed the video card to give me easier access to the cpu cooler. I've noticed when I plug everything back in and boot up, my Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master board goes back to the bios defaults. Is this normal when a card is removed and put back in? I don't remember my old one doing that.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
ok, good job there then!
If you have a voltmeter check your cmos battery.

I'll check that too. It only seems to happen when the video card is removed. If I'm doing other stuff it seems to be just fine. I think there is a clear cmos button on this board, but I can't remember where. Maybe I'm hitting it by mistake lol

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
It shouldn't do that. The battery on mobo should save the settings. Those should last 3-5 years. Maybe it's bad. Does that mobo have some Reset BIOS button?

It's possible that when I'm manhandling this beast I've hit the reset button on the back. I'm not really sure. Perhaps later on I'll unplug it and fiddle around with it.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
The Clear Cmos jumper is down by the FP header and the Button for it is on the top of the rear i/o panel.

I just tried it again and this time no resets. I suspect maybe I was hitting that button on the rear. Or maybe something in bios was wonky and the update I did this week fixed it. But more likely I was hitting the button.