bios rom checksum error

G

Hi, When i need to restart my computer or a program needs to restart after installing a new program or even while installing widows i get a messsage BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR.And it only seems to happen when the cpu temp is about 50 degrees C.... Anybody have any ideas as it is annoying having to turn my pc off and then on after a reset is needed... thank you

G

Hello!

Some questions:
1 Which motherboard do you have?
2 Which Processor and what speed are it running at?
3 What is your Powersupply rated as?(ie 300 watt or what)
4 What memory and how much are you running?
5 Which bios version does your motherboard have?
6 What heatsink and fan do you have?

/Dal

Its better to ask a question and be a fool for five minutes, than to be a fool forever.

G

i have a kt7-A (non raid) m/b,
an athlon 1.4 @1.4 with a dragon orb 3,
i admit i have a shonky (supposed to be 300 watt power supply) but this problem only started happening recently, and have had the system for over half a year now.

i have 640 meg hyundai ram
and i have bios version 64

Thanks.

G

and another thing i might add is that it displays this before it checks ide devices and ram, like when the cpu in the soft menu is not set up correctly

G

hi

Is your mobo from ABIT?
If so please read the Faq on Abits homepage about the bios cmos dump problem. (i think i got it right now).

If you can, try another power supply. power supplys have life spans and if they are shonky they might have come to and end :(.

Is your heatsink and fan looking like this?
Http://www.jmedata.se/assets/thumbnails/12437.jpg
/Dal

Its better to ask a question and be a fool for five minutes, than to be a fool forever.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by daladwyn on 01/30/02 01:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
What is this 64 BIOS version?
Go there and download latest bios :<A HREF="http://www.abit.com.tw/eng/product/mb/kt7a.htm" target="_new">http://www.abit.com.tw/eng/product/mb/kt7a.htm</A>. That will solve the problem.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

G

i don't think it's the power supply because all the voltage readings are fine........

svol

Champion
That is the version for the KT7-<b>E</b> mobo NOT for the KT7-<b>A</b>, go to this site, and download BIOS version KT7R3:
<A HREF="http://www.abit.nl/eng/product/mb/kt7a.htm" target="_new">http://www.abit.nl/eng/product/mb/kt7a.htm</A>.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

I have tried all of the above. I am starting to think thaat my motherboard has spat the dummy in some way.

svol

Champion
The BIOS still gives error codes, although you updated it with the latest version, very strange. There might gone something wrong under flash, did you reset the BIOS after update?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Yes, i did flash the bios.
Could the battery go dead after7-8 months?
I don't think it is the battery either because my bios settings remain the same after turning the pc on and off......

HBullock

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I had a similar problem with an MSI board and the I845 chipset and P4 1.6 I tried all the things that are mentioned in the posts. reflashed bios, changed battery, etc, etc. I even went to the trouble of getting a replacement motherboard. What the problem ended up being was when I upgraded the equipment I used a preinstalled NT harddrive. The device drivers should be generic and such execpt for Network cards and such but it caused the system to act wonky. If I powered off and started back up boom there would be the bios checksum error. If I left the system up and modified the bios and saved changes everything would be fine. But cycle the power and voila instant checksum. I reinstalled the operating system with a clean install and no more problems. Weird as it may sound it did not like it. So if you tried the easy way for upgrading your computer and just modifying the drivers you had too for a new board then it may be it.

Harry.

All Spelling and Gramatical errors are on purpose for testing the readers abilities.

TRENDING THREADS