[SOLVED] Bios said 100C, Core Temp said 40C.

Feb 9, 2020
I have a GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 and a i7 7700k both bought in 2017. I'm using a CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 that was bought at the same time. So this morning I woke my PC up from sleep and my radiator fan was at max speed. I have a manual smart fan setup to only make it go max when temps are around 80C to 100C. I have Core Temp installed and it was saying my temps were only around 40C - 50C, they have always jumped around quickly when any programs are running, I read this is normal for the 7700k.

So I restarted and went into bios and it said CPU was stuck at 100C and not budging. I thought this was pretty weird because usually temps fluctuate. At first I was thinking my pump was dead but I touched a tube and it was vibrating normally so there's no way it wasn't working. So I did a forced shutdown and waited a few seconds and booted back up into bios and temps were at 40C. Seems like this was a bios glitch? Has anyone ever experienced this before? Should I replace my pump with a new one? Not really sure if I should be worried or not.

Solution
Motherboards have a number of the thermal probes to monitor temperatures. Normally there is one directly under the CPU. Often the CPU temp in BIOS comes from this probe, while CoreTemp is reading temperatures from the CPU die. I'm guessing the probe on your MB got stuck and the reboot fixed it. You can confirm this by running HWmonitor. You will see that there are a lot of components that report a temperature. Then compare the BIOS numbers and CoreTemp numbers with the numbers in HWmonitor and you can get a good idea where the numbers are coming from.

Bottom line ... I wouldn't worry yet, but I would keep monitoring it. 5 years seems to be about the life of the H60.
Motherboards have a number of the thermal probes to monitor temperatures. Normally there is one directly under the CPU. Often the CPU temp in BIOS comes from this probe, while CoreTemp is reading temperatures from the CPU die. I'm guessing the probe on your MB got stuck and the reboot fixed it. You can confirm this by running HWmonitor. You will see that there are a lot of components that report a temperature. Then compare the BIOS numbers and CoreTemp numbers with the numbers in HWmonitor and you can get a good idea where the numbers are coming from.

Bottom line ... I wouldn't worry yet, but I would keep monitoring it. 5 years seems to be about the life of the H60.

Reactions: CPBoud
Solution
Feb 9, 2020
Thanks for the fast reply. I totally forgot I had HWmonitor installed. I should have checked it as well. I do want to upgrade my CPU this year, but I was waiting to see the new Intel and AMD chips. Hopefully whatever is causing this can hold out a bit longer. I'm kinda thinking it's the motherboard.

Thanks for the fast reply. I totally forgot I had HWmonitor installed. I should have checked it as well. I do want to upgrade my CPU this year, but I was waiting to see the new Intel and AMD chips. Hopefully whatever is causing this can hold out a bit longer. I'm kinda thinking it's the motherboard.
I'd bet $10 ... maybe even $20 ... that this is a one time event. Even if it does happen again, you now know that a restart fixes the issue. If this happens repeatedly, especially when coming out of sleep, it could be an issue with the MB (blown capacitor or something), but it could also be the power supply. Hopefully not.

Reactions: CPBoud