Question Bios says CPU 35 degrees HWMonitor says 100?

Oct 26, 2020
Help please. I have tried MSI Afterburner/HWMonitor and fpsVR all say my CPU is 98 to 100 Degree's on all cores yet in the Bios it says CPU is 35 degrees. This is all at idle and as soon I start the pc from cold. could this be a sensor problem?

kanewolf

Titan
Asus Z390-P i9 9900k
I don't remember what motherboard it was, but there was a thread a couple days ago, where somebody had weird temp results like yours and the problem was the CPU fan was plugged into the wrong plug. When he moved the CPU fan back to the correct plug, it fixed his temp readings.
I definitely don't have any explanation for your problem.
Do you have an infrared thermometer to measure the CPU area? That would provide an independent measurement.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
ok whats each core reading as ? in HWmonitor

reason i ask is on my ryen 3600 theres always 2 cores that read out the maxed out temp of 127c ,,, never moves the rest of the corew read normally and make sense to my bios reading.

Oct 26, 2020
Ok I boot the pc from cold takes about 30 seconds. Then fire up HWmonitor and all the cores are between 80 and 100C already. (they never go above 100)
I have checked the cpu with a infrared thermometer and its around 30C which agrees with the BIOS cpu temp
I have checked the fan lead and it is in the correct position.
My concern is that the cpu is throttling back because it thinks its hot.
Any Ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
Ok I boot the pc from cold takes about 30 seconds. Then fire up HWmonitor and all the cores are between 80 and 100C already. (they never go above 100)
I have checked the cpu with a infrared thermometer and its around 30C which agrees with the BIOS cpu temp
I have checked the fan lead and it is in the correct position.
My concern is that the cpu is throttling back because it thinks its hot.
Any Ideas?
If an infrared thermometer agrees with the BIOS, then you know you aren't doing damage.
Is your BIOS current?

Oct 26, 2020
Yes the BIOS is current . I have downloaded intel Extream tuning utility and it is showing that the cpu is throttling even at idle so I dont konw what to do now :(

kanewolf

Titan
Yes the BIOS is current . I have downloaded intel Extream tuning utility and it is showing that the cpu is throttling even at idle so I dont konw what to do now :(
I don't have a recommendation. You have a "chicken and egg" situation. Could be the motherboard, could be the CPU. If it is the CPU, you might have to RMA to Intel. I might recommend posting on their forum -- https://community.intel.com/ They will be the experts.