Question BIOS "see" all ram but only use half

96jaco96

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Hello, i have a very strange problem; i have two 4GB ram sticks installed in my MB and until yesterday everything was working perfectly, but now my BIOS has decided to only use half of the ram he has even if it sees all the sticks...
As you can see here ( View: https://imgur.com/rRV70KX
) the bios only see a total memory of 4080MB therefore he's using only one of the ram sticks, BUT when i go to the advanced settings it shows both the ram sticks ( View: https://imgur.com/UbDWEJr
).
What i've tried so far:
  • Trying each one of the sticks in each one of the slots and they both work fine on every slot
  • resetted the BIOS to default settings
  • shutdown the system, unplugged the current and removed the bios battery.
  • used the jumper on the MB to hard reset the BIOS
  • removed the ram and left it unplugged for a night

any thoughts about why is this happening? is the MB failing perhaps?

Install the memory in the CORRECT slots. They should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots (DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 for some boards, but they are in the same physical locations) which are the second and fourth slots over going from the CPU socket towards the edge of the motherboard. That is for ALL dual channel consumer motherboards made for the last, well, at least ten years.

357oq5c.jpg

25i5fmq.jpg

If you have a question about memory, I suggest you include the part number and/or link to it.

The proper two DIMM memory setup for FX-8320 is 1866MHz memory. It appears you are using too slow a speed and the memory is installed in the wrong slots.

The memory may also be incompatible with each other, but based on your description of it, I wouldn't know what memory you have.

96jaco96

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
If you have a question about memory, I suggest you include the part number and/or link to it.

The proper two DIMM memory setup for FX-8320 is 1866MHz memory. It appears you are using too slow a speed and the memory is installed in the wrong slots.

The memory may also be incompatible with each other, but based on your description of it, I wouldn't know what memory you have.

i'll try to change my ram then, but if this is the problem then why did this pc worked fine for over 5 years and used all the 8GB of ram until yesterday?

96jaco96

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Install the memory in the CORRECT slots. They should be installed in the A2 and B2 slots (DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 for some boards, but they are in the same physical locations) which are the second and fourth slots over going from the CPU socket towards the edge of the motherboard. That is for ALL dual channel consumer motherboards made for the last, well, at least ten years.

357oq5c.jpg

25i5fmq.jpg

tried this but the mobo still use only one of the sticks...

Then if you've changed nothing else, did not remove or install anything new, did not previously remove the CPU or memory at any point, then you have either a problem with the motherboard or memory or if you've moved the system around it's possible the CPU cooler is no longer evenly secured and is putting too much or not enough pressure in one corner or side which is affect contact between the CPU pins and the contact points.

96jaco96

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
Then if you've changed nothing else, did not remove or install anything new, did not previously remove the CPU or memory at any point, then you have either a problem with the motherboard or memory or if you've moved the system around it's possible the CPU cooler is no longer evenly secured and is putting too much or not enough pressure in one corner or side which is affect contact between the CPU pins and the contact points.

The pc has not been moved, but i also checked the cpu anyway but to no avail... i've tried the memory on another pc and it work.. at this point i'm pretty sure it's just the motherboard that is dying.