Question BIOS sees HDD but wont boot to HDD (HDD and SATA cable ruled out as issues)

Albinobluesheep

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I'm rebuilding and old system for a Media PC.
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor
MOBO: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
HDD: 1TB HD

Everything posts fine, I plugged in the Windows install USB fine, that all starts fine, but I started having issues with starting the windows install process. Kept acting like it couldn't talk to it, even though it could see it

An hour of trouble shooting later, I just took the HDD over to my main PC, plugged it in there and used the windows USB to install it there.

HDD took Windows fine and installed it 100% fine, no issues, boot up windows just fine at main PC

I go back and reconnect it to the PC I'm building, even took the same SATA Cable.

I can select it as the boot drive everywhere that's an option, I can change to the primary boot device in BIOS, I can even see it on the system inspector in the BIOS UI
but once I try to boot to it, the system acts like nothing is installed, or it's not a valid boot drive

I've plugged into nearly every SATA port on the MOBO but none of them have any different effect (all 6 of them are a pain to get to in the small case I am using, so I stopped after 4)
Any strange setting in the BIOS I am missing? Could this be a hardware issue (old Mobo has been sitting in closet for a few years) should I try to reset the bios somehow?

Seems really specific for a hardware failure to be able to see the hard drive but not be able to boot from it when told...

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS