Question BIOS setting needs to be changed?

rghash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
HP Pavilion 690-0067c
Recently installed the new SSD a Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe 500GB PCIe 2X4. Speeds just didn’t seem to be great so I tried to figure it out & finally got someone at Samsung that knew something but call HP. Told me to make sure I had Samsung Magician installed and to run a test, gave him the write speed of 1608 & he told me that was way to slow so he had me look further and it is listed in Samsung Magician as I have as listed above PCIe Generation 2X4 not what I should have, PCIe 3X4. He told me to be sure my PC will run this SSD & from what I have found in my research and from talking to other more qualified than me it will. Now I cant figure what to change in the BIOS to make it show up as PCIe 3X4 & why this would install as PCIe 2X4 & not 3X4. Anyone know how to change this to get better speeds. I do not see a choice in my Bios for either 2 X 4 or 3 X 4. Just shows the Samsung SSD. Now should I disconnect the 2nd Non SSD drive in the PC until I get this corrected as the BIOS lists it as the 1st drive and I cant seem to make a change to the Damsung stick when I change it in the Bios. Why ?.

HP PC Motherboard name: Sunflower SID: 8433 Processor socket: AM4
Expansion Slots:
One PCIe x16 slot
One PCIe x4 slot
One M.2 socket 1, key A
One M.2 socket 3, key M

Form factor: Customised size: 24.4x26.7 cm (9.6x10.5 in)
Chipset: AMD Promontory FCH
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR4
Processor socket: AM4
Expansion Slots:
One PCIe x16 slot
One PCIe x4 slot
One M.2 socket 1, key A
One M.2 socket 3, key M
Anything else I can provide let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 15, 2019
Expansion slots are not meant to be used for the NVMe PCIe, therefore you should have a STORAGE PCIe NVMe port. If not, you can't do anything to improve the performances.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Expansion slots are not meant to be used for the NVMe PCIe, therefore you should have a STORAGE PCIe NVMe port. If not, you can't do anything to improve the performances.
What are you talking about? They are totally meant for NVMe storage. It’s direct to the cpu for the lowest latency and should allow full PCIe 3.0 x4 performance.

Look in your BIOS for PCIe link speed settings. If they don’t exist, try clearing CMOS and resetting your BIOS settings after that. Sometimes that reinitializes the PCIe link speed.

Have you tried both M.2 ports? If not, try the other and see if you get PCIe 3.0 x4. If you don’t get faster, the only thing I can suggest is using an M.2 to PCIe adapter instead of the onboard M.2 port.

Feb 15, 2019
What are you talking about? They are totally meant for NVMe storage. It’s direct to the cpu for the lowest latency and should allow full PCIe 3.0 x4 performance.

Look in your BIOS for PCIe link speed settings. If they don’t exist, try clearing CMOS and resetting your BIOS settings after that. Sometimes that reinitializes the PCIe link speed.

Have you tried both M.2 ports? If not, try the other and see if you get PCIe 3.0 x4. If you don’t get faster, the only thing I can suggest is using an M.2 to PCIe adapter instead of the onboard M.2 port.

Indeed you can plug an NVMe on an expansion slot and use it, but of course performances would not be as equal as you plug the SSD into a storage PCIe slot!!

rghash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I have looked in the BIOS & I don't see anything about speeds for anything. I can see the Samsung 970 as well as my backp drive a WD Black 2TB but It is listed as the 1st drive, why?
Would the PCIe adapter go into the PCle X16 or the X 4 slot or does it make any difference. I looked at a few on Amazon so it looks like this could be anoother way to get the job done. I don't understand why the PC didn't recognize the Samsung 970 fully right away. I will also try clearing the CMOS.

Do you mean if I plug an adapter to one of the PCle slotsthe sped wont be as fast as pluggin it intp the M.2 slot? What I see on Amazon is they claim to be about 3000, I'm only getting 1608 now measured by Samsung Magican tool for performance Benchmark.

Thanks for the help.

This is what the board looks like. Hope this link works as it goes to HP.

https://support.hp.com/doc-images/308/c05939217.jpg
The Samsung is inserted into the M.2 SSD Socket
  • Form factor: Customized size: 24.4x26.7 cm (9.6x10.5 in)
  • Chipset: AMD Promontory FCH
  • Memory sockets: 2 x DDR4
  • Processor socket: AM4
  • Expansion Slots:
    • One PCIe x16 slot
    • One PCIe x4 slot
    • One M.2 socket 1, key A
    • One M.2 socket 3, key M

Feb 15, 2019
Yes, if you are using an adapter the speed may be much lower than advertised. That is why it is not advisable to use an NVMe in an expansion slot... you can but you pay the price ;)

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Indeed you can plug an NVMe on an expansion slot and use it, but of course performances would not be as equal as you plug the SSD into a storage PCIe slot!!
Yeah, here you’re right.
Yes, if you are using an adapter the speed may be much lower than advertised. That is why it is not advisable to use an NVMe in an expansion slot... you can but you pay the price ;)
But here you’re wrong.

A motherboard’s M.2 slot can introduce a bit more latency due to PCH routing than the PCIe slot, which mainly affect QD1 performance aka real world tasks (7-10% worse). Sequential performance will be what the drive is rated for over either connection.

So, by using your own PCIe to M.2 adapter as I suggest instead of the onboard M.2 slot, or “storage PCIe slot” as you call it (even though it can be used for other things...), you can attain even higher performance.

Last edited:

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
I have looked in the BIOS & I don't see anything about speeds for anything. I can see the Samsung 970 as well as my backp drive a WD Black 2TB but It is listed as the 1st drive, why?
Would the PCIe adapter go into the PCle X16 or the X 4 slot or does it make any difference. I looked at a few on Amazon so it looks like this could be anoother way to get the job done. I don't understand why the PC didn't recognize the Samsung 970 fully right away. I will also try clearing the CMOS.

Do you mean if I plug an adapter to one of the PCle slotsthe sped wont be as fast as pluggin it intp the M.2 slot? What I see on Amazon is they claim to be about 3000, I'm only getting 1608 now measured by Samsung Magican tool for performance Benchmark.

Thanks for the help.

This is what the board looks like. Hope this link works as it goes to HP.

https://support.hp.com/doc-images/308/c05939217.jpg
The Samsung is inserted into the M.2 SSD Socket
  • Form factor: Customized size: 24.4x26.7 cm (9.6x10.5 in)
  • Chipset: AMD Promontory FCH
  • Memory sockets: 2 x DDR4
  • Processor socket: AM4
  • Expansion Slots:
    • One PCIe x16 slot
    • One PCIe x4 slot
    • One M.2 socket 1, key A
    • One M.2 socket 3, key M
Can you link me to all the specs of your system? I just want to see if that M.2 slot can even do 3.0 x4.

You sure you got a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot at the bottom there? The picture shows PCIe 3.0 x1 at the bottom. Got anything plugged into the x16 slot? I’d use that one since it would for sure give you full bandwidth. If the bottom slot is indeed 3.0 x4, then that would work for full performance too.

rghash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
The bottom slot, which slot does that refer to?
Also I only have the M.2 inserted in the MOBO, I havent added any other card etc, its stock except for the Samsung 970 & the WD Black 2TB HD which takes the place of the original drive which sets in a box in case I have to put it back in for warranty purposes. I have 4 More months from HP & then 2 yrs from Costco, that original Toshiba 1TB is still loaded from the factory. So I could put it back in and the PC would run just like out of the box. I changed to the 970 to get the best performance I could.

Here is the Link that shows everything about this PC, hope it is what you want.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05953209

again Thank You.

rghash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
With a lot of insistence from me with the HP front line Tech in the “No support” group they asked theTier 2 support and they said the M.2 slot is 3.0 X 4. Now I'm going to call in the day on Fri to verify all this. Your other comment about the Picture of the MOBO showing PCle X 1, why that is I don't have any idea & will try to clarify that with HP on Fri. On another site for my PC the Specs show
Expansion Slots:
One PCIe x16 slot
**** One PCIe x4 slot Beats me?
One M.2 socket 1, key A
One M.2 socket 3, key M