[SOLVED] BIOS settings cannot be accessed & computer will not boot

w.iankenyon

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Hey everyone,

album link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nEGvqbciryqSP1FT8

Original specs:
Intel motherboard E210882 (DZ77BH-55K series)
GTX 970 graphics card
Value series 8gb DDR3 1333 memory stick
2x Sata SU650 6GB SSDs
Intel i5-3470 processor

a couple months ago my computer started failing to load, the mobo logo would flash and then it would go to the first screen in the linked album, where the cursor would move space by space until it had gone through the whole screen that way.

I figured it might be my windows but using a new boot stick did not do anything to change it, neither did unplugging both of the SSDs that I had connected.

A friend suggested it might be the CPU, so I got another one the same kind. after cleaning out the computer and putting in the new CPU, it still would not boot, however it would go to a blank screen after the mobo flash, and then to the error page in the album link. Pressing either enter or f8 would only cause the screen to flash, it wouldn't take me to any other pages.

I removed the boot stick, and the SSDs to see if I could access the BIOS settings, but on the mobo flash screen I cannot access the BIOS settings, update, or boot menu. when I press any of the function buttons the pc( I think the motherboard) will emit a high-pitched tick sound, and then after about a minute and a half will take me to the black screen with flashing cursor in the album link.

Is this a motherboard problem? this is my first PC and I really don't know where to go from here.

thank you for all your help

Solution
I noticed you didn't mention your boot drive at all. Where is Windows running from? That (non-SSD?) hard disk may have failed as that is what I suspect the cursor across the screen is doing on boot, scanning your OS hard disk for errors.

The other likely culprit is that your RAM could be faulty. If you have multiple sticks of RAM I'd try pulling all but 1 of them and try it. If you only have the 1 8GB module, maybe you can find a friend with something compatible laying around just to test it out? Also be aware that the RAM needs to be placed in the correct slots on your motherboard, depending on your configuration.

Lastly, it could very well be the motherboard that is faulty. That's tough to diagnose unless you have another laying...

Caleb Hale

Distinguished
May 17, 2013
I noticed you didn't mention your boot drive at all. Where is Windows running from? That (non-SSD?) hard disk may have failed as that is what I suspect the cursor across the screen is doing on boot, scanning your OS hard disk for errors.

The other likely culprit is that your RAM could be faulty. If you have multiple sticks of RAM I'd try pulling all but 1 of them and try it. If you only have the 1 8GB module, maybe you can find a friend with something compatible laying around just to test it out? Also be aware that the RAM needs to be placed in the correct slots on your motherboard, depending on your configuration.

Lastly, it could very well be the motherboard that is faulty. That's tough to diagnose unless you have another laying around to test with, which doesn't sound like you do.

Solution

w.iankenyon

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019

thanks for your response.

my windows was running from one of the SSDs, I don't have a hard disk in the PC, I was looking to add one around the time things began to mess up and I wanted to wait till I had things fixed. I took that SSD out and was trying to boot up with a boot stick to see if that changed anything but it still gave me the same problems

I'll ask a friend to bring over some RAM to try and switch out as I only have the one stick