BIOS Settings for my new RAM

dangthe

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hello.

I need some help with RAM settings in BIOS. I bought a Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 [using my Athlon II X4 635 from my previous rig] mobo and this RAM. Its a 1600MHz CL8-8-8-24 1.6v RAM. I was told by the salesman that I would need to adjust the RAM manually in the BIOS settings because it wont recognize it automatically. I entered the bios and adjusted the following settings:

Memory Clock x8.00 [was 6.66]
DRAM Voltage Control 1.6V [was 1.5]
CAS# Latency 8T [was 9T]
RAS to CAS R/W Delay 8T [was 9T]
Row Precharge Time 8T [was 9T]
Minimum RAS Active Time 24T [was 25T]

First of all, I read somewhere that doing this is actually overclocking the RAM? It makes no sense to me, since those are the recommended RAM settings advised by GSkill?

My second question is, what are all the other settings, like:

TwTr Command Delay 5T
Trfc0 for DIMM1, DIMM3 90ns
Trfc1 for DIMM2, DIMM4 110ns
Write Recovery Time 10T
Precharge Time 5T
Row Cycle Time 33T
RAS to RAS Delay 4T

Should these settings be changed so the RAM can be in it's "default" state or are those fine as they are?

Cheers!

It's not overclocking the RAM. However, it is overclocking the memory controller built into the CPU, which only officially supports up to 1333 memory.

Only change the RAM settings that the manufacturer gives you the values for. Playing with the others could result in Bad Juju™.

{Bad Juju} Funny!

1600MHz 8-8-8-24-2N @ 1.6v

Correct:
Memory Clock x8.00
DRAM Voltage Control 1.6V
CAS# Latency 8
RAS to CAS R/W Delay 8
Row Precharge Time 8
Minimum RAS Active Time 24

ADD
Command Rate (CMD) -> 2

Run Memtest for at least 4 passes or 2 hours to be certain that both your CPU (IMC) and RAM is error free; create a bootable CD/DVD, use the ISO/zip file -> http://www.memtest.org/

edit:
Leave them as Auto.