[SOLVED] Bios Settings for Win10 Uefi Install

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

My concern is about what settings should i use in bios if I want to install windows 10 in uefi mode. There are three options in Windows 10 features:
Windows 8/10
Windows 8/10 Whql
or Other OS
And should I need the Secure boot?

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
Hi all,

My concern is about what settings should i use in bios if I want to install windows 10 in uefi mode. There are three options in Windows 10 features:
Windows 8/10
Windows 8/10 Whql
or Other OS

Thanks for your replies.

it should tell you in the motherboard manual

an example out of an MSI manual (its an old manual, headings may have changed)

Windows OS Configuration
Sets Windows 8/ 8.1 detailed configuration and behaviors. Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.

Windows 8.1/ 10 WHQL Support [Disabled]
Enables the supports for Windows 8.1/ 10 or disables for other operating systems. Before enabling this item, make sure all installed devices & utilities (hardware &...
Hello

Can you please check the discussion here to understand what Windows 8/10 WHQL is?

Next, you can follow the instructions given here to understand the concepts, and set up and install Windows 10 in UEFI mode. Also, please don't forget to check the other links given in the thread for detailed information.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hi all,

Windows 8/10
Windows 8/10 Whql
or Other OS

Thanks for your replies.

Windows OS Configuration
Sets Windows 8/ 8.1 detailed configuration and behaviors. Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.

Windows 8.1/ 10 WHQL Support [Disabled]
Enables the supports for Windows 8.1/ 10 or disables for other operating systems. Before enabling this item, make sure all installed devices & utilities (hardware & software) should meet the Windows 8.1/ 10 requirements.
[Enabled] The system will switch to UEFI mode to meet the Windows requirement.
[Disabled] Disables this function.

What enabling this does is swaps Boot method to UEFI only, and enables the Secure Boot Menu

Boot Mode Select [LEGACY+UEFI]
Sets the system boot mode from legacy or UEFI architecture depending on OS installation requirement. This item will become un-selectable and will be configured automatically by BIOS when Windows 8.1/ 10 WHQL Support is enabled.
[UEFI] Enables UEFI BIOS boot mode support only.
[LEGACY+UEFI] Enables both Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI BIOS boot mode.

Secure Boot is up to you, it stops windows booting from anything other than the drive its installed on, although there are ways within windows to boot off a USB or other drive if needed.

I would enable Whql mode

Other OS is defined as any version of WIndows prior to Win 8 or another OS that still uses Legacy boot method
Legacy boot only supports MBR drives and is the format used by almost all OS prior to 2009
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) supports both MBR & GPT drive format and was designed to fix many of the limitations of Legacy boot. Almost all Motherboards since 2009 are UEFI bios.
MBR = Master Boot Record. Drive format used on all Windows boot drives prior to 2009. ONly allows 4 partitions max (although there are work arounds) and max partition and/or hdd size is 2.2tb
GPT = Guid (Guid = Global Unique ID) Partition Table. Format created to fix MBR limitations. Can have up to 256 partitions on a drive and max drive size is 18.8 million tb

Win 10 supports UEFI and GPT by default, and will insist on using them if it recognises motherboard supports both.

Last edited:
Solution

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019

What enabling this does is swaps Boot method to UEFI only, and enables the Secure Boot Menu

Secure Boot is up to you, it stops windows booting from anything other than the drive its installed on, although there are ways within windows to boot off a USB or other drive if needed.

I would enable Whql mode

Other OS is defined as any version of WIndows prior to Win 8 or another OS that still uses Legacy boot method
Legacy boot only supports MBR drives and is the format used by almost all OS prior to 2009
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) supports both MBR & GPT drive format and was designed to fix many of the limitations of Legacy boot. Almost all Motherboards since 2009 are UEFI bios.
MBR = Master Boot Record. Drive format used on all Windows boot drives prior to 2009. ONly allows 4 partitions max (although there are work arounds) and max partition and/or hdd size is 2.2tb
GPT = Guid (Guid = Global Unique ID) Partition Table. Format created to fix MBR limitations. Can have up to 256 partitions on a drive and max drive size is 18.8 million tb

Win 10 supports UEFI and GPT by default, and will insist on using them if it recognises motherboard supports both.

Thank You. Now it is clear. Now I know which one i need to set. Thanks a lot again.