Bios settings

G

For some reason I checked my Bios setting today for the first time. This is the setting I have for my two hard drive ATA/100:

Primary master: No drive
Primary slave: IBM... Boot drive
Secondary master Seagate... HDD1
Secondary slave: no drive.

My question is: why don't I have my Boot drive as the Primary master?

Yvan.

Abit KT7A- Raid
Athlon XP 1600
BIOS - 65
OS – Win2000 Pro
IDE1: YAMAHA CRW2100E
IDE1: Slave : ZIP 100
IDE2: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-67
IDE3: IBM HDD
IDE4: Seagate HDD
Floppy Drive
AGP1: Millenium G550 AGP Video Card
ISA1: Courier Everything 56. US Robotic Modem
No PCI card.
Lian-li 60 Case
Samsung SyncMaster 900NF

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Have the jumpers set up right on the HD?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Thier on different cables right? Just set them to master if thier each on thier own channel.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
are your hdd's raided? IDE 3 & 4 are used for additional devices, (as is 2) your boot drive (generally speaking)is the primary HDD on the 1st IDE chanel, I dont see how the bios is reporting the HDD on IDE 1 when you list it as being on IDE 3. either way, take the jumper off CS and set it to master and put it on the 1st ide chanel (assuming you arnt using raid- if so, the HDD's need to be on 3 and 4)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

Thanx Zlash, it worked! Thanx everyone to try to help me!

Now I have another question.
I have Win2k installed on the slave drive (since it is on Raid, that was the only way I could find to have my machine recognise the drive when I bought that new GDD 2 months ago). When I start the computer, I get a black screen and 2 booting obtion from either slave or master. I want to get rid of that, having the Master booting all the time. How do I do it?

Thanx.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You could probably go change your boot order in BIOS, to set the drive you want to be the first boot device.

G

yes as Zlash says but consider leaving the floppy as the first boot, you may need it there one day. Then have the boot drive second.

If it aint broke don't fix it, just tweak it instead!