Bio's showing high cpu temp

XeRoX17

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Hello i just recently changed my case made no other changes besides a new dvdrw. I took everything out of my old case and put it in the new one. Now when i start my computer up the hw monitor and PC Health status in the bios shows that my cpu is running at 89c(but the cpu is cold to the touch) when before at start up it would be at 17-19c I am using a ac 64 freezer pro with AS5 on a x2 5000+BE at 3.0ghz stock voltage. I was wondering why this is happening and what i could do to fix it. I downloaded core temp and it shows core 0 at 15c idle core 2 at 17c idle and 20-30's during gaming.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Those temps are nothing to worry about.

If you're really set on reducing those temps check for airflow obstructions. Consider changing your cable pathing so there's minimum obstruction of any fans that might be in the case.

XeRoX17

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I have all my cables hidden and plenty of airflow Im just wondering why my bios are showing 89c at start up when its cold to the tought and about 60-75f in the room my rig is in

Make sure your heatsink is mounted properly and that tehre is not too much AS5. If so clean the CPU and the heatsink and reapply the correct amount and then reseat the heatsink then check the temps.

It could be a error in reading truthfully (I would try a few other programs as well) but to be safe you always make sure the heatsink is mounted good.

Shawnhath

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Well see the BIOS could be using the wrong TJ max...
The CPU mesures a certain way (I forget exactly) and then it subtracts it from a number usually around ~95. What is left its what your temp is..
So if your BIOS has the wrong TJ Max, it may be incorrect

Try checking it in windows with RealTemp
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

XeRoX17

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
yeah i have core temp and speed fan they both show normal temps i just cant figure out why my bio is showing it so high when all i did was transfer my existing parts to a new case